Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 11 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changes to the way game traffic is routed to my server?

So how do I pinpoint the problem?  Many ifs or buts but no answers or suggestions.  This has always been my experience at trying to resolve issues using this forum.  How long can the post run before I get some advice on what I can try that I have not already done?  Maybe the problem is within virgins network or we can just say its out of our control and don't bother even trying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 27
Flag for a moderator

post the tracert you were asked to post and see can see

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 13 of 27
Flag for a moderator

If I can connect to the server then the DNS has done its thing and makes no difference to the in game ping.  But as I happened to be using my own DNS and reset everything back to stock then again this is something I had already tried.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 14 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I said above that when running tracert from CMD everything is fine.  12 hops 28ms on the last hop nothing showing any problems, that's why not being a network engineer but having some idea that different traffic (TCP and UDP for an example) can be treat differently.  I'm just guessing but a tracert probably uses TCP? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Trace route uses ICMP which is neither TCP or UDP, have you communicated with the host to see if any probs

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 16 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks that's something I have learned, Waiting to hear from the network manager who looks after our server but he is on holiday at this moment.  But if its a server problem then it would not just effect me as everyone else is fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 27
Flag for a moderator

unless its the peering between the game host and somewhere else (vm or someone in between) again you've not given any info to help pinpoint it and you say everything else on your connection is working. the ping is OK and other on the server are OK.

you describe the perfect problem for VM to blame the server, the server to blame VM and the problem to be in the middle.

the internet is not as simple as connecting your PC directly to a server. you may pass though 10 other routes not controlled by the 2 end points. We could know this if you posted the tracert.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 18 of 27
Flag for a moderator

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms         [192.168.1.1]
2 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms               10.229.208.1
3 12 ms 7 ms 7 ms             gate-core-2a-xe-711-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.7.13]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms         86.85-254-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk [62.254.85.86]
7 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms         be100-109.ldn-1-a9.uk.eu [213.186.32.169]
8 24 ms 23 ms 23 ms         be103.gra-g1-nc5.fr.eu [91.121.215.178]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms       ip184.ip-213-32-112.eu [213.32.112.184]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 19 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Again peak time latency for my connection over to Europe goes on, fine in the mornings afternoons and at night. I have no problems with speed, up or down during peak times, latency to UK based servers is also fine. The problem is though most gaming servers are in mainland Europe due to price, if as what was said above that Virgin can only control what happens within there network I get it.

I don't know how it works but I guess they pay other networks maybe for example the cable across the channel for there customers to use? And from what I can deduce maybe other companies are acquiring a higher level of traffic management across that network. I have friends all over the UK and Europe that I played with in a server in France tonight, and I was the only one other than a member from the US that had a fluctuating ping of over 120ms spiking at 150ms.

I was the only one using Virgin, members in Scotland with BT fiber for god’s sake had 5 times less latency than me and there further North!

Don't bother to answer this post this is just how it is, there is nothing no one can do other than myself and switch ISP. Gaming focus is probably never going to be a prority and never discussed within the board room. All about advertised download speed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 20 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My route to that address appears to be going via a LG peering in London, and then handed over (nothing useful in first 7 hops). Seems to get sent to the same place however

8 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms uk-lon01b-ri1-ae-25-0.aorta.net [84.116.136.102]
9 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms be100-109.ldn-1-a9.uk.eu [213.186.32.169]
10 25 ms 22 ms 27 ms be103.gra-g1-nc5.fr.eu [91.121.215.178]
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 20 ms 22 ms 20 ms ip184.ip-213-32-112.eu [213.32.112.184]

I deal with these sorts of issues for a living and unfortunately they can be tricky to solve, and essentially impossible for anyone outside to determine. Is it going over a peering that's oversubscribed? Is there an issue with MPLS nodes that aren't showing up in the traceroute? Only the guys with access to Virgin Media's network can tell you that. And if it's an issue after they hand the traffic over, then they can only say "it's fine to where we hand it over".

Testing this right now my latency is a fairly consistent 20ms

Ping statistics for 213.32.112.184:
Packets: Sent = 87, Received = 87, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 19ms

The routing looks fine, based on your comment about how it's bad a peak times it sounds like congestion somewhere in the pathway. Have you observed high latency to other addresses at peak times?

It could be policies treating UDP differently from ICMP but you'd only likely get that in the access part of VM's network. You don't apply policies in the core and at peerings, you just send it to the destination IP as fast as possible and don't care what it is. I don't think this is a likely cause.

0 Kudos