Menu
Newtopcat
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Can’t sign in to PSN on PS4 or mobile on virgin.

Hi all!

ive got an odd issue. I can’t sign into the PSN anymore for some reason. I’ve tried my PS4 on ethernet and wireless. I’ve tried the PlayStation app on my iPhone and iPad. 

None of them sign in and give me different errors. 

If I turn WiFi off on my iPhone then I can sign in, if I make a hotspot and attach my PS4 to my phones 4G then I can sign in

so it’s my virgin connection. I’ve restarted my router. I’ve tried manual DNS addresses for google and cloudflair and I’ve tried turning upnp off and on. 

Nothing else seems to have issues. Got a number of internet connected devices which are all ok. Just not the PS4

any ideas?

0 Kudos
Newtopcat
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t sign in to PSN on PS4 or mobile on virgin.

Ok. Another thing. 

Going to any Playstation website in any of my devices bring up a page:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access http://PlayStation.com on this server.

Reference #18.460f0317.1555421645.123d7cb1

np idea what could be happening. I’m an occasional gamer on the PS4. Mostly just spiderman really. Can’t have done anything wrong to get cut off can I other than the crime if not having enough time to play the games I’ve got!

0 Kudos
AliasNeo
Dialled in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

After looking online it seems that error would suggest Sony have IP blocked you, I would contact them and ask why you've been blocked and get them to remove it.

If you don't have any luck with Sony then your only alternative would be to request a new IP from VM but chances of that happening are literally NIL, however if you switch to modem mode (if you're not already) that will give you a different external IP so you can at least test the theory that Sony have blocked you.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

As @AliasNeo has said it sounds like an IP address ban implemented by Sony, nothing VM can do about that.

All the evidence I have seen on PSN access issues and by extension issues with accessing the Ikea and eBay web sites (see HERE) have been caused by the blacklisting of IP addresses by Sony/Ikea/eBay and they all use Akamai's services to protect their networks so a block issued by one can impact all three and probably more sites.  The issue is regularly debated on the PSN forums from customers world wide, most of whom do not use VM.

The most likely reason for an IP address being blocked is that suspicious network activity has been detected on that IP.  Either you have been unlucky and got assigned an IP that was used and abused by somebody else before it was assigned to you, or something on your home network is misbehaving and triggering the ban e.g. malware on a PC that could be involved in a DDOS attack.  Always worth checking all your kit for any virus or malware that could be responsible.

Your options are:

1. Get Sony to lift the ban.  Highly unlikely as their first line support staff usually just deny they are blocking because they don't have a script for that kind of issue.

2. Change your IP address.  As VM IP addresses are very "sticky", the only guaranteed way to do that is to switch the hub from router mode to modem mode (or vice versa) as that will give you a different IP address.  VM staff can't assign you a new IP address.

3. Wait for the ban to be lifted.  Sony (or more likely Akamai) will only block an IP for a few days as they know they are shared IPs so never make them permanent bans.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Newtopcat
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all. 

It must have been an IP ban I think but don’t know why. 

I did speak to Sony and they checked and said our IP wasn’t too blacklisted by them. I spoke to Virgin again and they sent me out a new hub so I got a new IP. 

So now it’s all working again 

its strange though. As far as I know, we have had that external IP for a long time. I’ve never done anything to get IP blocked (I don’t have much time for games!). My family are too young for mischief , two children under 4. I play PS4 maybe ever couple of weeks, but mostly we use Netflix for children shows. 

So happy it’s all sorted but no idea what went on!

AliasNeo
Dialled in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

As @SCA1972 has mentioned it might not have been Sony who actually blocked you but rather Akamai due to your IP being used and abused by someone else before it was assigned to you or something on your network being part of a botnet.

Either way it's working now and that's the main thing, just make sure your network is fully secured with a strong firewall, up-to-date anti-virus, patching, strong passwords etc.

Newtopcat
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Well this is rubbish, I’m banned from all PlayStation services on any device again!

if I go to playstation.com on my mobile I get an access denied again. Same on everything else and can’t sign in on the PS4. 

Ive phoned Sony again and they confirmed that this new IP I have got from the new router also isn’t blocked on those side. 

I don’t have much time for games with 2 little ones so I can’t say when this happened just that I got a new hub, set it all up and I could then get to everything. I’ve not tried again for a few weeks until today and now I can’t get to any PlayStation service. Everything else is fine. I can get yo playstation.com on 4G, but switch to WiFi and it’s blocked. 

I severely doubt it’s a virus or something similar as Sony are saying our up isn’t blocked by them. And although I do own a man mini, our primary computers are iPads and iPhones, I doubt they are causing us to have a ban on PlayStation.com. 

Anybody got any ideas what I can try? I’ve tried calling virgin but they couldn’t help and passed me though to the chargeable gadget rescue team who could only suggest manually port forwarding psn ports to my PS4 which isn’t going to help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AliasNeo
Dialled in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

As has been mentioned before, Sony probably haven't blocked your IP it's more than likely Akamai.

https://community.akamai.com/customers/s/question/0D50f00005Rtqi7CAB/ip-block?language=en_US

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Newtopcat Something on your network is triggering the ban, there is no other logical explanation for a repeat ban.

Sony regularly tell customers that they are not blocking an IP when they are.  This is either poor staff training or as @AliasNeo has said they are unaware of the block because it is being done by Akamai rather than Sony for bad behaviour on PSN.  If Akamai are doing the blocking then there should be a reference number on the screen when you try to access playstation.com that you can quote to Sony, something like this:

Reference #18.c7fedd58.1515004902.2fbb582e

That reference code explains why the block is in place but only Akamai customers (like Sony) can lookup what the code means.

Have you tried accessing eBay or Ikea via your VM connection to see if they are also blocked?  If they are, then that also points to Akamai doing the blocking.

If it is Akamai then there is some evidence that you might get help via the forum that @AliasNeo linked to or their Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/Akamai

Akamai are supposed to be creating a web page or app for the general public to check the reputation of their IP to get a better understanding of why these blocks are happening, but as yet I haven't found it.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I may have spoken too soon, you can look at your IP's reputation on the Akamai site here:

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/

I found the link above on this help page on the Akamai site:

https://community.akamai.com/customers/s/article/Why-is-Akamai-blocking-me?language=en_US

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos