cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get speeds above 80mb from 1 gig connection.

Hunterzolomon
Joining in

As per title. Have had the 1gig package around a month or so now and my ps5 is unable to get above 80mb with a wired connection. It does get around 200mb wireless but wireless connection is even worse. Experiencing a lot of packet loss and lag. 

Hve tried it in router mode, modem mode and connected to a netduma router. Never able to get above 80mb. Previously used to get over 200mb wired so I know it's not the console. Have tried multiple wires including ones I know works to my computer which receives around 700mb. 

Im using speed test.net to test the speeds bit they match the ps5 speed test as well.

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried a full factory reset on the PS5?   It sounds like the NIC is running at 10/100 and not 10/100/1000   If you are getting full speeds on your PC, the fault is unlikely to be the VM Hub.   I'm also assuming you are connecting directly to the Hub via a Cat 6a cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dominatez
Superfast
Try downloading a game or a demo and test the speed that way. I have a PS5, and there is a lot of talk and always has been about Sony limiting the download speed of the Ps4 And Ps5 unless they are downloading a game.
How many devices are attached to the router / hub ? and you do have a lot of flexibilty on the pc for TCP/IP settings which you don't have on the Ps5 which makes me think that Sony do cap the speeds. Why would you need 1gb for gaming ? Most game servers usually use around 2-3 megs up and down speed for playing. That is more than sufficient as things like sound are dealt with on your side and not on the server side.

Well I don't necessarily need the 1gb speeds just a playable connection. ATM games are full of lag, packet loss and speedup lag. Can't really paly any games online whereas I was fine on the lower packages. 

kisadrd
Joining in

The most likely reason for this problem is a faulty cable. This is why users are not getting Gigabit Ethernet speeds due to cable disconnection. Replace the ethernet cable in the LAN port; a sound can be heard when the line is plugged back in. Loose cables in your ethernet connection can be an issue.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hunterzolomon wrote:

Well I don't necessarily need the 1gb speeds just a playable connection. ATM games are full of lag, packet loss and speedup lag. Can't really paly any games online whereas I was fine on the lower packages. 

Okay, you need to setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping to record and monitor your circuit.  Also post the power levels and network log from the Hub.  Once done we can comment on the findings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Hunterzolomon,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see you aren't getting your expected speeds especially when gaming on your PS5, I have tried to locate you on our4 system however wasn't able with the details we have for you, so I can look into this for you I will invite you into a private chat, I will send an invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

Hunterzolomon
Joining in

Think I've managed to fix it myself. Getting speeds of 850mb now.

Hi Hunterzolomon, thanks for getting back to us. 

And thanks for confirming your issue has been resolved. Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hunterzolomon wrote:

Think I've managed to fix it myself. Getting speeds of 850mb now.

@Hunterzolomon It might help others in the future if you told us how you fixed it.

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.