cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to dhcp server using ethernet cable on Xbox

LaRusso
Tuning in

Worked fine for the last 2 years and then suddenly stopped working about 2 months ago. I've searched all over the internet for a solution but just can't find a fix at all. Reset the router multiple times, called Virgin and they reset it, changed cables, I don't know what to do. Any help appreciated thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LaRusso
Tuning in

Okay I finally managed to fix it. I'll post the solution if anyone else needs it. Unplug the ethernet cable and connect to wifi. Then on your Xbox, go to settings > network settings > advanced settings. Take a photo of the screen showing IP address and wired Mac address. Log in to your router via PC/phone on the 192.168.0.1 webpage. On the left side go to advanced settings > DHCP and scroll down the page to "add reserved rule." Now type in the IP address and wired MAC address from the photo you took and press add rule. Plug ethernet cable back in and restart Xbox. Should be working now. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried resetting the XBox back to factory settings?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi LaRusso, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with connecting to the DHCP server on your XBox. Have you tried replacing the ethernet cable to ensure this is working correctly? 

Do you have the same issue with any other devices or is it only the XBox you are having the problem with. 

Finally can you check to see is Adduxi's advice works? Reset the XBox and let us know how things have gone. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

LaRusso
Tuning in

Okay I finally managed to fix it. I'll post the solution if anyone else needs it. Unplug the ethernet cable and connect to wifi. Then on your Xbox, go to settings > network settings > advanced settings. Take a photo of the screen showing IP address and wired Mac address. Log in to your router via PC/phone on the 192.168.0.1 webpage. On the left side go to advanced settings > DHCP and scroll down the page to "add reserved rule." Now type in the IP address and wired MAC address from the photo you took and press add rule. Plug ethernet cable back in and restart Xbox. Should be working now. 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Glad to hear that you have managed to get this resolved @LaRusso and thank you so much for posting the fix.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

VMCopperUser
Wise owl

Not to be the one who spoils the party.

Glad it's working.

But All you did is set up a DHCP Reservation - So that IP is now handed out from the DHCP Server (On your VM Hub(x)) only to the device that has the matching MAC address.

It sounds to me like - perhaps - you had a DHCP conflict and it didn't allow the Xbox to connect properly.

My guess - and it's just a guess as you haven't provided much detail, is that you (or someone else) previously set a fixed IP in the Xbox (I think this is known as a "Enable Manual Assignment" in the xbox options.

While your fix works - if you ever change Router (VM Hub, or another ISP Router) then you will get the same problem again.

The best fix on the xbox (If it's set to "Manual") is to use "Automatic Assignment".  Many people change from "Automatic" to "Manual" so they can, errrm ... Fix ... something but they never really understand what that is or how it works.  Not saying that's you, but if it smells like kimchi, looks like kimchi, and comes in a jar - it's probably not a banana.

For Reference.  A fixed IP on the Xbox and a DHCP reservation both being set to the same thing will not cause a conflict and will work - but is not a good solution.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

If the Xbox has a static IP address remove it and remove the DHCP reservation from the hub. With IP settings set to Automatic the Xbox should automatically get its IP address, if that doesn't work consider a reset of the Xbox.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection