cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anybody recommend a good gaming router (available from curry's preferably)

NickWba20
On our wavelength

I've been having some issues with my Internet connection I'm on virgin 500 and when partying up with friends it seems fine but when my partner who will join the party on her Ps5 on the same network in the same house it will say people in the party can't talk to one of us but then it will sort itself out and sometimes I can't connect to certain games servers right away such as fifa and I have to connect manually. I'm on virgin 500mb and Im thinking of getting a gaming router from curries on finance as I know they can be pricey. I'm looking to put the virgin router into modem mode as I've done it before with a tp one to bypass any issues but I'd like to have one which is powerful and could potentially support the 1gig package should I choose to get it at a later date. 

8 REPLIES 8

jem101
Superstar

Arguably, there is no such thing as a 'gaming router' other than what exists in the excited imaginations of marketing wonks who think that having something looking like it was designed by Escher and covered in 'das blinkenlites', should command a huge markup! A router, is a router, is a router!

Now do you say that you have a TP-Link router? If so then why not experiment with just using that for now with the hub in modem mode and see if it improves things? If it does then you have saved yourself some money and can always upgrade it later if you do get a faster speed.

NickWba20
On our wavelength

I can't use the TP one as when I left my dads house 3 years ago I told him he could keep it in order to keep his connection in good working order. Would buying one of these routers avoid me having problems with my Qam levels on the Upstream? I'm finding that at points it will all be fine with them being on 64 as necessary but then they will change to 16 thus affecting my connection on the ps5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NickWba20 wrote:

<snip>   Would buying one of these routers avoid me having problems with my Qam levels on the Upstream? I'm finding that at points it will all be fine with them being on 64 as necessary but then they will change to 16 thus affecting my connection on the ps5

Absolutely not.!   If you are having line problems a new router will not fix it.

Post the Hub's power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log please.    Also setup a BQM here to monitor your line  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment and hopefully advise your next move.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

NickWba20
On our wavelength

I've done that on other threads my problem seems to be the levels on the Upstream that are supposed to be 64 one of them such as last night it was channel 7 changed to 16. This morning they were all at 64 as they are supposed to be but I have no doubt the inconsistent levels will change as the day goes on. Nobody has reached out to me from Virgin on here just yet. I'm hoping as these issues started for me late Friday evening as they did with a friend based 90 miles away from me in Liverpool that the staff are back in today as normal and have fixed these issues from their end as there was a terrible storm that started Friday evening and possibly threw it out of whack over the weekend. Possibly clutching straws but I can hope 

Just got back into the house and shock horror my levels are back to being all over the place. It always seems to be channel 7 aswell. 

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

15370000037.8512064 qam6
26030000038512064 qam5
33940000038.3512064 qam8
44620000038512032 qam7

Moments later I've come off the Ps5 and they are back to 64 

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

15370000037.8512064 qam6
26030000038512064 qam5
33940000038.3512064 qam8
44620000038512064 qam7

Technician booked for Wednesday afternoon. Thankfully they picked up that 4 diagnostic tests in the last 24 hours came back as negative meaning there's an issue so fingers crossed for Wednesday. 

hortonj88
Fibre optic
The one I use is out of stock at Curry's but available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-Accelerator-Aggregation/dp/B075WFL15D

It's pricey but I've had no issues with it.

No complaints from people in the house about WiFi coverage or speeds either.

Left Virgin Media in 2020 after being fobbed off one too many times about over utilisation.

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png