Menu
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can Virgin Media increase our upload speed to 8mb/s?

I'd actually like to point out that you don't need to upload at the twitch max of 6Mb/s to get a decent stream, ALOT of the big streamers didn't use to stream over 720p because the compression of 1080p at 6mb/s isn't great, you need around 10mb/s for it to start looking really crisp, I would advise you look at lowering the bitrate and increasing the quality settings, or upgrading the streaming hardware to handle higher quality at lower bit rate.

I've spent a good chunk of time fiddling with all the settings and playing about with various different quality dials within OBS studio to get mine to a level where I'm pretty happy with the quality.

I would advise looking at something like 720p60 @ 3.5Mb/s as that looks respectable and isn't too pixelated, most modern quad cores with hyper threading and clock speed around 3.5Ghz+ will manage the medium quality preset, medium profile, and 32 sample lanczos and look absolutely acceptable - this is using x264. IMO using NVENC on anything above 720p requires more upload than you'll get from Virgin if you want it to have zero pixelation.

I stream at 1080p60 @ 6mb/s from a dedicated stream pc and use OBS' plugin NDI to pass the stream from my gaming pc (had issues with some games making the system lock up because of the way the programs run and access the processor) and this is a good option for me and means I don't lose frames as NDI is really not system intensive, however as I say Virgin in my area, I'm lucky if post 4:30pm I can maintain 2-2.5Mb/s upload let alone 6mb...but this is more a conversation about how woeful Virgin's network infrastructure planners are....
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

VM will increase it when you pay them money, that's how the world works.

Money makes the world go round, or in your case, "money makes your upload get faster"...lol

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@RedGooner wrote:

VM will increase it when you pay them money, that's how the world works.

Money makes the world go round, or in your case, "money makes your upload get faster"...lol

Yes and no, no amount of money you offer will get them to give you a decent upstream, even 20mbit is pretty pathetic when the downstream is over 15x that speed, i miss the days when you actually got a 10:1 ratio, even a bump to 35mbit upstream would be nice for people who have multiple gamers in a single household, but alas, the fastest upstream they offer is a lowly 20mbit which, assuming you even manage to get the full upstream speed

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I am on the VM350 service and 20Mbps UP is more than enough.

--
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

i know 200mb one is not enough becuse i run a online radio station at 48kbs and playing online gaming its not enough upload speeds becuse online gaming do use upload speeds i think it is time for virgin media to step up with the upload speeds more then the download speeds i think they need to increase uploads speeds to about 5mb or so on every package this will beat bt speeds fibre uploads i care some on download speeds becuse you tube use download and little upload to load the page its the same with every webpage that streaming services only streaming to like twitch or mixer it useings more upload becuse its video and audio. i know i use more bandwith then family of 4 maybe more then a camp site data usage

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@RedGooner wrote:

For YOU maybe, but when you have a household full of gamers that isn't really enough, i don't even mind if they charge more for it via an addon to the package, but they don't even seem to be willing to take money for a service people want, i'm on the 350 aswell and 20, when i actually get it, isn't really enough for a busy household

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

LOL

--
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@shanematthews wrote:

@RedGooner wrote:

For YOU maybe, but when you have a household full of gamers that isn't really enough, i don't even mind if they charge more for it via an addon to the package, but they don't even seem to be willing to take money for a service people want, i'm on the 350 aswell and 20, when i actually get it, isn't really enough for a busy household

You need to look at what's actually going on LAN side- I run AT LEAST 5 gaming devices LAN side and upstream isn't an issue until you get into buffer bloat territory -which is easily resolved with a separate router.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies wrote:

@shanematthews wrote:

@RedGooner wrote:

You need to look at what's actually going on LAN side- I run AT LEAST 5 gaming devices LAN side and upstream isn't an issue until you get into buffer bloat territory -which is easily resolved with a separate router.

I don't need to "look" at anything, multiple games consoles all streaming at once along with normal PC use will saturate a 20mbit upstream allocation, like i said, for a full household all wanting to use the internet during the day especially during half term this isn't going to cut it, as i've said i'm more than happy to pay VM for the extra upstream but they literally seem unable to even charge for it, at the end of the day if the user is willing to pay for a service and there are no technical reasons why that service cannot be offered to them, it seems a bit silly not to have the option

0 Kudos