Menu
Madmark
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can I keep my v2

Hi

ive just upgraded my package to get tv but I also get the broadband upgraded from 200 to 350

ive just noticed on the order they are sending me a v3 hub as well but having read problems about latency issues I wondered if I can leave my v2 hub in place and carry on gaming trouble free.

i play fast paced first shooter games so need good latency and low packet loss

will my v2 still work?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I keep my v2

You need the sh3 for 350meg, if you want to keep the sh2 you'll need to downgrade your speed

0 Kudos
ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If the new package is 350mb then you should get the new firmware which is supposed to fix some of the latency issues .

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault
F003502423: Review Dates -> 07/10/2015 -> 02/12/2015 -> 20/01/2016 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F004873444: Review Dates -> 29/03/2017 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F005506920: Review Dates -> 09/08/2017 -> 08/06/2018 -> 13/06/2018 -> 11/07/2018 -> 12/09/2018 -> 29/05/2019 Smiley Sad -> Open Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Madmark wrote:

......i play fast paced first shooter games so need good latency and low packet loss

will my v2 still work?

Now you know that you cannot get a 350 configuration file for your existing SH2(AC?) then I suggest your prime objective is to ensure that you consider retaining the SH2AC until at least a month has elapsed for your to evaluate whether the SH3 adequately fulfils your "gaming/other" requirements so you can retain your upgrade cancellation rights without penalty!

That can be an issue if you have an attending engineer unless you're prepared to greet the tech on your threshold before he enters with (something like...):

"Hi - thanks for attending but I have to emphasise before you enter that I will not relinquish my current SH2 for a period of upto 28days in order to facilitate regressing back to V200 IF the SH3 does not meet my existing requirements! I will however sign your job sheet to reflect that so that the responsibility for the equipment return is not solely yours. (It would also be helpful if you leave the return packaging)

Don't accept any assurance that he'll retain/return the SH2 later if you're not satisfied or fully test the unit before he leaves!  Once it leaves your possession then you've virtually lost it permanently!

That said he may object to completing your install (without discussing with his supervisor) AND if he does proceed you may later receive "auto reminders/threat" emails to encourage you to return SHub or face "charge for unreturned equipment" on your billing account.

He may also (correctly) emphasise that the 8x4 channel bonding on existing SH2 will potentially cause utilisation issues even on your V200 Tier sometimes in the future compared to SH3(24/32x8)?   

It's therefore prudent (if possible before his visit) to contact UK Retentions(aka Thinking-of-Leaving-Us)  ASAP and "record the telecon"(by advising recipient/agent in accordance with UK DPA/legal requirements) to ensure they not only agree but confirm they note your customer records such that providing you return the equipment within 28 days you will not incur any penalty charges.  

Conversely if you elected(and are eligible) for "Quick-Start/Self Install" then same applies to contact UK Retentions  as some of LG/VM newer auditing systems will still send auto mail "equipment Return requests/warning" AND even auto bill charges.....   Smiley Sad   

Of course the above is far more cynical pessimistic approach that anticipates failure but after 20 years (half of which has been Testing/Trialling NTL/VM/LG hardware and software) I appreciate that despite the best efforts of very competent UK personnel in Retentions and First/2nd Line support then occasionally their reassurances (in good faith) are negated by some asinine automated auditing algorithm (or under trained agent) and causes a disproportionate stress and effort to resolve by user after the event!

Good luck - hopefully you won't need it.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
dubaloo
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

I was a previous customer of 50mb broadband with a SH2, I still own the hub. Now, last week I called to get reconnected to 50mb but the fella insisted I needed the SH3 which he sent to me even though I asked just to be turned back on. I am a gamer and I also enjoy playing Second Life, or I did until I acquired this hub. I am having lag issues with this game and more importantly the port forwarding won't work because this game uses many IP addresses and ports around the world for the media, the music and video in-game. So as you can see a lot of the content won't play for me. I'm very upset. All I would like is to enjoy this game like I did on the SH2. I will gladly return the SH3 and even pay for the return postage if I can just use my SH2 again please.

Regards,

Anthony.

Madmark
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replies about my concerns

thankfully it seems to be working ok but I have kept my sh v2 as a back up in case of problems and confirmed with virgin they will reconnect if I request.

on anoughter plus side I am getting 383 download speed 

👍

0 Kudos