cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bufferbloat on 1gb Super Hub 5

JackRalph96
Tuning in

Hi All,

I'm seriously Shocked that the Super Hub 5 doesn't support SQM still... Unless i'm missing it on the router? So the issue is I'm being affected by Bufferbloat. As a forex trader where every millisecond of latency makes all the difference, this is a massive issue to me and am having to seriously consider a new router to try to resolve the issue. i'm using CAT8 cables 1m to my pc one of which has a 2.5gbps port and the other a standard 1gbit port. Both of which are suffering Bufferbloat causing latency issues. 

Is there anything I can do to improve the situation?

- Scan results - https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=c586cdea-1a90-4ee8-907b-eddc25e1b514

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bufferbloat and the complicated bit WHERE it happens is tricky

The best way to check is to run CMD
ping -t 194.168.4.100
then do a download test likely it will show what waveform.com has.

So you think its the hub thats the problem? No in your care its not heres why your speed hit 870Mb the max is 940Mb by 1Gb port which means the hub buffer for downstream never was full so would a QoS/BWM router help? No because if you limit at 900Mb and it never sees this speed you still buffer. So where are you buffering? VM side likely VM have a HFQ type QoS/BWM which will not help you at high speeds when the area is under load and the available bandwidth is split between everyone.

But here is what you can do go slower say 200M then get a QoS/BWM router limit to 190Mb say and upload to 19.1Mb and you be mostly fine no bufferbloat.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

JackRalph96
Tuning in
Just to add QOS Packet Scheduler on each pc is also enabled.

jem101
Superstar

@JackRalph96 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm seriously Shocked that the Super Hub 5 doesn't support SQM still... Unless i'm missing it on the router? So the issue is I'm being affected by Bufferbloat. As a forex trader where every millisecond of latency makes all the difference, this is a massive issue to me and am having to seriously consider a new router to try to resolve the issue. i'm using CAT8 cables 1m to my pc one of which has a 2.5gbps port and the other a standard 1gbit port. Both of which are suffering Bufferbloat causing latency issues. 

Is there anything I can do to improve the situation?

- Scan results - https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=c586cdea-1a90-4ee8-907b-eddc25e1b514

Cheers

Let me just get this straight, you are, as you claim, a forex trader and any latency issue will be crucial to your deals, except you are relying on a domestic broadband connection which is geared more towards watching amusing cat videos on Facebook, yes?

And no, there is absolutely nothing you can do to improve it, raw headline download speed has very little connection to latency.

So firstly dump Virgin Media, and see what FTTP suppliers are available. It might be that there are no fibre suppliers available to your area, in which case BT have an FTTP on Demand option which will cost you somewhere between £1600 and £2600 just to be fitted and you are tied into a contract for a year

That's sadly a shame. I guess Tier 1 Datacentre VPS rental is the way forward for me then. You don't think getting third-party router with QOS and SQM built in will help latency at all? Looking to hopefully bring 15ms i'm currently getting to the exchange down to 5ms response times. i'm just looking to improve this on my home connection as i'd like to stop paying for external servers i'm currently paying for as it eats into my budget massively and an upfront cost for a much better router potentially salvage the situation. as a FTTP is not a cost effection solution for my current budget.

Bufferbloat and the complicated bit WHERE it happens is tricky

The best way to check is to run CMD
ping -t 194.168.4.100
then do a download test likely it will show what waveform.com has.

So you think its the hub thats the problem? No in your care its not heres why your speed hit 870Mb the max is 940Mb by 1Gb port which means the hub buffer for downstream never was full so would a QoS/BWM router help? No because if you limit at 900Mb and it never sees this speed you still buffer. So where are you buffering? VM side likely VM have a HFQ type QoS/BWM which will not help you at high speeds when the area is under load and the available bandwidth is split between everyone.

But here is what you can do go slower say 200M then get a QoS/BWM router limit to 190Mb say and upload to 19.1Mb and you be mostly fine no bufferbloat.

I've been running with a second router (Linksys) running the custom DD-WRT. I connect a LAN cable from the Virgin Super Hub 5 into my Linksys WAN port. On the Hub side I assign a Static IP to the Linksys and them put that IP in the DMZ (under security). On the Linksys I enable QoS. My scores on dslreports go from a D to A or A+. Buffer bloat becomes negligable. All devices that connect to my Linksys have better response times.

Fair warning though, sometimes it stops working and the network tanks and I'm not sure why. This may be related to my personal setup or not. If you have another router that can run QoS then it's worth a shot.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Kierandw wrote:
I've been running with a second router (Linksys) running the custom DD-WRT. I connect a LAN cable from the Virgin Super Hub 5 into my Linksys WAN port. On the Hub side I assign a Static IP to the Linksys and them put that IP in the DMZ (under security). On the Linksys I enable QoS. My scores on dslreports go from a D to A or A+. Buffer bloat becomes negligable. All devices that connect to my Linksys have better response times.

Fair warning though, sometimes it stops working and the network tanks and I'm not sure why. This may be related to my personal setup or not. If you have another router that can run QoS then it's worth a shot.

Does it do this with hub in modem mode? if in router mode you have other devices to the hub/Wifi and not to Linksys if you download or upload on both routers you buffer.

Kierandw
On our wavelength

The Hub is still in Router mode. Anything working off the Hub (Cable or WiFi) gets its DHCP from the Hub and works normally. Anything connecting to the Linksys (Cable or WiFi) gets its DHCP from the Linksys.

Hub is on X.X.0.X

Linksys is on X.X.1.X

It means I run 2 separate WiFi networks in the house but that is fine by me one is upstairs and one is downstairs. At least I know if my signal is bad on the one and my device has not auto-switched I just switch it over manually. 

Only the devices running off the Linksys need the "better" performance and are cabled anyway. The rest of the devices aren't bothered and use whichever WiFi happens to be strongest at the time. 

I did try it with the Hub in modem mode but I could never seem to get it to work right and didn't want to buy more equipment to have solid WiFi both upstairs and downstairs. 

This is really useful thanks for the info. So there is hope a higher quality dedicated router may assist with solving the issue.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So all devices connected to the Linksys are in the DMZ? Or have I misunderstood? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks