Menu
Highlighted
TheRookieGB
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Quality, Latency Issues - Online Gaming, Consoles - The Big Dilema

Hi All, sorry its a long post but it explains a lot ...

So I have been a Virgin Media, NTL World, Cable & Wireless Customer for what seems like 20 years and have always had the cable connection at my address.

I currently have VM 200mb Broadband (No TV) and unlimited Telephone calls.

1 x over 5 years old Superhub2AC in modem mode connected to a LAN network of Apple Extreme 6Gen (Tall model) (router mode and DCHP) and two TP-Link metal Giga switches, all cat5e.

I game online mostly via the PS4 and Battlefield V, previous Battlefield 1, 4,3,2 etc.

I have setup the Apple extreme to Portforward the UDP and TCP ports to my fixed IP PS4 and other ports to My fixed IP Xbox one S. These are recommended on Portforward.com for EA servers.

Why do I port forward? Well during gameplay I often get Latency spikes or issues for around 2-4 minutes. I can be connected at a 20-35 ping and having fun, only for the network warning icons to appear and my Latency to increase to 120-150 or even briefly to 530+. This was and still is annoying, espeacialy as my online best buddy is running BT infinity at 70mb and has a lower ping of 15-25 and never spikes. He often takes the mick!

The only time I had a great Gaming with no issues was when I added the PS4 into the DMZ zone on my Apple extreme, only to be sent a letter online and in the post from Virgin regarding mDNS!

So I decided to add the ports into the Apple extreme and it seemed better but sure enough these still return and become annoying. Why? That's the hard part.

Is it?
A. My Apple extreme router? Yes its not new but great with iphones and the rest of the house. Never seems an issue.

OR

B. My ageing Superhub 2 AC? I have had to put it in Modem mode as in normal Router mode it often reset the Wifi password, or needed restarting. I would add ports into the crap menu only to look months later and they had gone. I would like a new SH2 but they won't give me one only a SH3.

C: I have two girls that watch youtube, games, facetime etc. Normally however after 10pm when I game they are in bed so I have the whole line to myself, hence the question why the spikes.

😧 Virgin Media line error that nobody at Customer support can find. I always get told my line is fine.

So what can I do now?

I am not in contract, I don't really want to move to BT but why does my mate get superb latency and he hasn't added anything into his HomeHub!

I don't know if I want a SuperHub 3 even with the latest firmware fix, is it still poor for online gaming, or is this my route out of this crazy issue? 

Should I try my Superhub2 AC as a router again to see if the Apple Extreme is the issue?

I know others out there have the same issues, I need help.

I have setup a thinkbroad band BQD graph which hopefully is below. Should I have yellow spikes?
All advice will be taken, do I upgrade to SH3 and another 12months contract or stay with SH2 which might be faulty or is my connect and issues normal with BFV and online gaming on Virgin Media.

Thanks All ..

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media SH2Ac

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Quality, Latency Issues - Online Gaming, Consoles - The Big Dilema

Can you post some stats. Go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP or MAC addresses.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
TheRookieGB
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Quality, Latency Issues - Online Gaming, Consoles - The Big Dilema

Hi

As requested:

downstream.PNG

upstream.PNG

0 Kudos
TheRookieGB
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Netnetwork log.PNGwork log

0 Kudos
TheRookieGB
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi All, including any VM forum staff.

Please can someone look at my figures and issues and let me know if this is normal?

I can see on the forums that I am not the only one with Gaming Issues, especially with EA servers and BFV games.

Thanks all.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your downstream power levels are too high so a technician needs to come round to sort it out.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
TheRookieGB
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger Gooner

thanks, I will call them today and see if I can book someone to come. 

What should they be? 

0 Kudos
TheRookieGB
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger

Called and they won’t send an engineer out until they have tested without my Apple Router connected first. 😩.

Will have to try this. Very annoying as took three calls to get to this point. 

Have no choice, will look to test later.

thanks for help so far.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi TheRookieGB.

Thank you for coming back to us.

Sorry to hear you still haven't been able to resolve this, I would like to invite you into a private message so i will be able to arrange a technician visit.

I will send you an invitation shortly, please click on the purple envelope.

Many thanks

Paul.

Lee2
Dialled in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Bt are just a far better isp for gaming. Virgin are the worst isp for packet loss and jitter. There's a reason your mate has no latency compared to you, cos he's with bt. Every serious gamer should know not to go with virgin they are not consistent enough. I was with virgin and had nothing but problems so I switched to BT and the experience is night and day. Forget the high speeds, bt or sky the way to go for gaming 

0 Kudos