Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad connection Lag - Over Utilization?

shaggygareth
Superfast

Think Broadband Quality Monitor 

Every Night 7:30-10:30pm ish

1,000Mb/s only connects at 930Mb/s as the HUB only supports that not the 1300Mb/s the connection is capable of. (My cabling and Ethernet Adapter, which is rated at 2.5Gb/s)

--------------------
Internet:-1000Mb
Phone:Virgin XL
TV Virgin XL with TIVO.
Cable Customer since 1990's
Mobile:- 5.5" 5800x 2.5Gb/s ethernet RTX 3070 gaming PC.

I don't work for Virgin Media, I pity those that have to....
12 REPLIES 12

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @shaggygareth,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for any issues with this.

I can see that @Andrew-G responded to you, can you let me know if you managed to get this sorted?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I can help you out here Hayley, the answer is no, it hasn't been sorted, and the people who need to sort it are Virgin Media or Liberty Global's traffic routing bods, who have been ignoring the matter (or achieving nothing) for a couple of weeks now.  Here's my own BQM for the last 24 hours:

AndrewG_0-1651174554191.png

As you'll see the connection was useless last night (for traffic that follows the same routing path), and blow me down if it isn't kicking off again tonight.  It's been like this about nine days out of the past two weeks.  

If VM want to persuade gamers to leave, they're doing a superb job.

I have to say I’m confused Hayley, how exactly did they previous reply cure my problem? There are no instructions, tips or advice to follow (as helpful as it is to know they didn’t think it’s my issue) Nothing in that reply would fix anything 

--------------------
TV Virgin XL with TIVO.

@Andrew-G you know if I absolutely had to hazard a guess I might well think this is more of a corporate/political issue than a technological one.

It’s inconceivable that VM’s tech staff don’t know what and where the issue is or what is needed to fix it. The fact that it has persisted so long makes me think there is a degree of ‘Willy waving’ going on here!

@shaggygareth yes, you and everyone else is getting the same issues. There is nothing that the forum staff or customer services can do. You’ll just need to wait it out.

Unfortunately, that’s not an answer, I pay £85 a month for starters that can’t even manage the 1,000Mb/s connection as theHub doesn’t support it. Now Virgin can’t provide the services they advertise either (best for gaming)

--------------------
TV Virgin XL with TIVO.

Well, the only "answer" is that we all have to wait until the crappy peering gets fixed (previous experience suggests three weeks or so, and we're just over half way through if that applies here), and if you're annoyed about it all you can do is raise a formal complaint with VM, asking for compensation because the service has not been supplied with reasonable skill and care, in that a patently apparent problem has not been resolved in a timely manner. 

Any complaint to VM will be fobbed off, and you'll then need to ask for a deadlock letter and use that to take the matter to CISAS, who may or may not support your complaint - that will depend how well you explain and evidence the problem.  You wouldn't get any compo for a few days disruption, because things do go wrong, and it can take time to resolve them.  For a few weeks you might get something, but I'd hazard a guess that at best it would be a Tier 1 award of about £50, since your connection is working for the most part.  Unless it continues for the next month or so I believe you'd struggle to build a case for release from contract without penalty even if you wanted that. 

So, not good, poor effort by VM, you can complain, but in my view will change nothing and won't be worth the effort even if you get a token compo award.  All I can advise is to remember this when any fixed term contract is coming to any end, and factor in your experience of VM's reliability and customer service along with other considerations of speed, price and bundle from other providers. 

Although I agree with 90% of what you are saying, I have, in the past taken this to the ombudsman and won a significantly larger award than that. However I am still awaiting a further response from 'Hayley' or any VM staff member to answer my query. The people answering the support call do not understand the issue and want to waste engineers time for something they can do nothing about.

Problem 1 the HUB does not support the connection speed so 1,000Mb/s is unattainable with my Current hub, only 934Mb/s. Not my fault as I have a 2.5Gb/s Ethernet port and a CAT8(A bit overkill I know) Cable.

Problem 2 the customer service staff will not answer my question and say that my connection tests just fine. (Which It would the majority of the time), However I don't pay the majority of the time. I pay all of the time.

Problem 3 - Again the chipset in this current hub is well documented to cause latency issues gaming.

Problem 4 I pay the top tier package as I wanted the top tier broadband and you can only do that with the whole package. However I now notice that other customers get a much 'bigger' package than i get (Sky Cinema for example). However this is a known issue with VM and their 'Packages ' changing for new customers.

Lastly in order to go to the ombudsman, I need a written record of the issue and how long VM have not dealt with it. This is said record and how I did it last time.

--------------------
TV Virgin XL with TIVO.

here here, i really want out of my contract so i can switch to BT fttp, gaming is one of the few things i enjoy to unwind and VM is absolutely killing my enjoyment