Menu
CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Another bad ping/latency post

Sooo, been struggling with customer service over this one - then come on here and realise I'm not the only one!

In the evenings, ping and latency issues make online gaming impossible. 

Spoken to VM Customer (ahem) Support about 7 times over the last few weeks with excruciatingly long hold times. Eventually, after ringing and asking to end my contract they sent an engineer out. He tightened a connector, "changed my channel" (whatever that is), and went on his way after 15 minutes. Nice guy, didn't fix the problem though.

I'm actually so done with dealing with Virgin now, and having been a customer since they took over NTL (a long time) I think I'm finally ready to move on. I would rather have a stable connection that I can enjoy gaming with my mates, rather than a wobbly connection that downloads a movie in 11 seconds.

Anyway, Twitter suggested coming here and posting my BQM results for some advice. My feeling is that there's not much you guys can do, as I'm pretty sure it's an over utilisation issue, but what have I got to lose?

------------------------------------------------------------------

VM Forum Team - "It doesn't mean to say that you aren't having trouble, just that the official standpoint would be that no action is yet required."

0 Kudos
CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another bad ping/latency post

[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/990237f5627dcd17369058cd17a51... 

VM Forum Team - "It doesn't mean to say that you aren't having trouble, just that the official standpoint would be that no action is yet required."

0 Kudos
CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Nov 25 

Nov 30 

Dec 1 

0 Kudos
Ryan_D
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hello, Carlos.

Please could you provide a your BQM results and I'll see what I can find in them results.

Thanks,
Ryan
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

VoIP Telecommunications and IT Infrastructure Technician
0 Kudos
CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Are the links above OK?

0 Kudos
Ryan_D
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Ouch, Okay.

I see the issue, for a fix I couldn't guess.

Are you using a wired connection or wifi connection?
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

VoIP Telecommunications and IT Infrastructure Technician
0 Kudos
CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Wired for xbox and PC. Wifi for everything else.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Wired or wireless makes no odds - your BQM results clearly show over-utilisation.  Any search of my recent posts on that topic will tell you what the prognosis is, and your options, though reading your initial post it seems you already know.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Andruser, many thanks for your reply and yeah, I see it now.

Now that I've read a few more of these posts I realise that my situation is common and VM are unlikely to offer a meaningful fix. I lodged a complaint on the 23rd and I have been told that if they cannot offer a fix within a month then I will be freed from my contract. Can't come soon enough tbh. I've clocked up so many hours on hold to Customer (ahem) Support, calling them out on Twitter and waiting for the non-existent SMS service I've come to realise they're just not worth my time. 

I expected better after being such a loyal customer for so long, but it's good to now have a clear path ahead. Virgin won't fix it, I'll leave and have online gaming back in my life just before Christmas with another ISP.

Question is, Sky? EE? Zen? Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Here's my thoughts.

VM, EE, Sky/Now, Voda...they can all offer attractive deals, and if all works OK, then you'll think "this is great", and that's the case for most of their customers. 

When things don't work, that's when you find out what good customer service is worth, and why it's worth paying more for a business that has high quality UK based customer support.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks