cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 years on and i still cannot play games on this VM connection - Orpington

Harry_C
On our wavelength

3 years this has been going on - Orpington Area. 

I get ping psikes constantly throughtout the day but it just peaks in the evening between 6-12pm (depedning on day) and packet loss creeps in and i am unable ot even sit in a VOIP call let alone think about playing a vdieo game. 

I've had engineer visits over this 3 years doing different things but NOTHING has fixed this issue, and it is now becoming beyong a joke that you have left this to happen in my area for this long.

Can i please get some compantant staff actually look at this issue and help me get it fixed? 

BQM Graph 

35 REPLIES 35

RedGooner
Super solver

12am to 6am looks a good time to game. LOL

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

Harry_C
On our wavelength

Yeah you know. Looks like over congestion to me and it clearly is, but VM won’t admit it. Hopefully i can get someone here to help out properly. 3 years ive been patient, but this is a joke now. 

My Broadband Ping - new

My graph similar to yours and typical of what i see every day when i check the graph at around 2pm. Last night saw even the min latency spike in the 8-10pm section, probably because of the champions league game on BT sport (same again tonight no doubt). Middle of the night is not ideal time to game lol. This is most definitely a virgin media network issue. I really wish i didn't renew my contract now. i can get BT FTTP i realised after :(:(

joek66
On our wavelength

Three years? You must be out of contract now, right? Is leaving an option?

Harry_C
On our wavelength
Yes out of contract, problem is my other option is only openreach and the max i can get with them in 24mb down 4mb up (and im 900m- from the cabinet on poor copper so its very flaky once under load). Which for my households usage is nowhere near enough. So i’m stuck with VM as my only high speed option.

Hi Harry_C

Can we please ask what the last engineer advised when they attended 

Gareth_L

Harry_C
On our wavelength

He did something with the levels to stop timeouts and said he’d keep an eye on it and left. Same old story. 

@Harry_C if it is a utilisation issue, which it does look like from the BQM and also there have been numerous complaints in the past from users in the Bromley area about this very same thing, then I’m afraid there is absolutely nothing that an engineer visit will achieve. Think of it like a road which gets congested because of too many cars using it a peak times, there may be a couple of small potholes in this road which can be fixed (equivalent to an engineer visit), but this doesn’t help with the congestion. The problem is not with the state of the road, but rather there just isn’t enough road. 

The road needs to be widened, or in this case, more capacity put in, but this can (ie is) expensive, and sometimes just isn’t realistically possible, just like you can’t always just widen a road if there isn’t physically room for additional lanes.

Not any of this, admittedly brilliant😉, analogy helps you in any way shape or form, other than to set your expectations to see it as not being a ‘fault’ that VM can ‘fix’ - at least not in the short term.

OK the obvious answer is to leave, but you have already stated that this isn’t really viable as the best speeds you can get via OpenReach is too slow for the rest of your household. But how about, depending on how seriously you take your gaming, you have a second internet connection, which is purely for gaming? Despite what many think, online gaming does NOT need particular fast speeds, the latency and jitter are far more important. It may not even be too expensive, at least for the initial contract term, and depending on exactly how much you fancy getting into the weeds with routing tables, you could even have a setup which automatically uses the VM link for some tasks and the alternative link for others (gaming)!

In fact you might find (if you experiment) that your household can indeed function quite happily with a ‘slower’ connection - you will be surprised how often people overestimate what they ‘need’ - in which case you can give VM notice in a month or so.

Something to consider, anyway.

Hi @Harry_C thanks for your post although I'm sorry you're still having some issues.

We're struggling to be able to accurately perform diagnostics at the moment based on your Hub status - would you please be able put your Hub into Router Mode, and let us know when this is done so we can re-try our tests please?

Many thanks

Tom_W