cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 years later, my findings..

gandi699
Tuning in

Back story: I left virgin two years ago after a 15 year stint due to huge latency spikes and over utilisation in my area and switched to a very slow but reasonably well performing low ish latency fttc connection. That contract was now up for renewal and as newer fttp hasn’t reached me I was getting the itch for a faster connection again as being stuck on 40mbit fttc wasn’t really cutting the mustard for me with the amount demand in my household for faster low latency internet. I thought I’d give virgin another go as surely they’ve addressed their utilisation issues in my area by now right? I’d read various things online about how they were changing their infrastructure to cope with more throughput and what have you. So has it made any difference then? 
Ive only had this 362mbit connection live since Tuesday night so I fired up call of duty to do some testing and what did I find? Huge latency spikes and packet loss in games from the off. The exact same issues as I had 2 years back. 
Luckily I’m only 5 days in to this contract so will be cancelling again come the morning. I’m fortunate enough to have a 5g backup internet connection for my household, which albeit not the ideal choice for gaming seems to beat this newly installed Virgin connection hands down.

So a word of advice to those you out there in the same boat as me, once you’ve left keep it that way - nothing changes!  

10 REPLIES 10

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @gandi699, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the latency and that you wish to leave us 😞
We really do aim to provide the best service possible, network works and infrastructure improvements are based on what the team has planned for the area for latency and spike issues.

If you are able to, you may wish to make a BQM graph here to show us the quality of the broadband and when the spikes and latency issues occur.
As you have mentioned you wish to leave, for the cancellation, please ring our cancellation team on 0345 454 1111 and they will be able to process this through for you.

We do hope to see you again day, let us know how it goes with the team.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Gandi69
On our wavelength

I'll happily do that, i'm already on the road to disconnection anyway. There will be nothing running on this connection, just the virgin hub so lets see how poorly it performs

Gandi69
On our wavelength

Gandi69_0-1669496149409.pngThat’s the bqm so far, on an entirely unloaded connection. It’s not connected to my main network at all, just idling. I think you’ll agree that’s terrible

Gandi69
On our wavelength

Gandi69_2-1669546491574.png

same graph this morning, I would do my other connections for comparison but I see little point in having to tinker with the firewall.

that’s definitely over utilisation 

It does look that way yes.

Run.

Gandi69
On our wavelength

I’d already cancelled anyway, disconnection 1st December. Going to a different but much slower fttc provider as that’s all I can get on fixed line for home use 

Gandi69
On our wavelength

This is today, offline due to virgin works in the street too! 
joke

Gandi69_0-1669658400221.png

Gandi69
On our wavelength

One day I might work out how to paste in image links from a mobile, however as I doubt I’ll ever be a virgin customer again maybe not 😅