cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gigabit speed users, what is your Warzone Ping in game?

Jeezy85
Joining in

Hi All,

I recently upgraded to the 1gb package with Virgin, however my ping in game is around 28-35ms.  I am kind of disappointed to be honest, i have friends who are with BT 1gb service and they get a latency of 10-11ms.

Just curious if this is an issue from my end or this is just the way Virgin media broadband is?  Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ping has nothing to do with the speed of your Broadband.  It's the time taken to a given destination.  I suspect your friends on BT are either physically nearer to the end point,  or the routing is better.  Either way there is not much you can do.

Compare a trace route from your PC to a trace route from your friend on BT.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

hortonj88
Fibre optic

VM will have higher latency than BT due to DOCSIS.

28-35 is more than playable, a lot better than some people experience on these forums tbh.

Left Virgin Media in 2020 after being fobbed off one too many times about over utilisation.

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png

Yup, as stated above, gaming on virgin can be problematic.

The best I ever got was 20ms.

The real problems occur when too many people in your area are using it at the same time.

Ya see virgin is kind of a shared network (in your local area), if the bandwidth is saturated then it starts delaying packets.

The is called over utilization. The result is erratic and unstable ping times bouncing around between a normal value and a very high number 160ms +.

Good luck getting that fixed btw. Just look through these forums for "utilization".

In sort, you have picked the worst possible network for gaming. Even an old asdl line would provide lower and more stable ping times.

aphex187
On our wavelength

Don't want to hijack this thread but I usually get around 80 to 99 ping on Hell Let Loose. Just been playing and a guy that's basically 30mins from me (North East area) is getting a constant 55. Seems my ping is like this on other games too (Warzone included).

p.s. I'm on 1Gig as well.

Hi Aphex187, thank you for getting in touch to bring this to our attention. Sorry to hear of the issues with your Ping whilst gaming. 

Having had a look on our systems I have identified a few signal level issues coming into the hub from the exchange which will require investigation from a technician to fix. 

I will send you a PM to confirm a few details and get a technician booked in for you ASAP. You will find the PM in your Inbox in the top right corner of the page. 

We can then return to the public thread with an update. 

All the best. 

Molly

I found playing games with my SH in router mode, was just horrible. Once i switched to MODEM MODE, and added my own router.
Now i play COD / BF on my PC, and other games on my PS5, i have NO problems or disconnectons.

My PC and PS5 are also connected via WIRED connections.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

ewhitey
Superfast

Bit late to the party but my connection and BQM are fine at the moment - Ping to PC for example is 20-30ms. Warzone the past week or so is ridiculous. Getting stuck, kicked, rubber banded all over the place and my ping is between 60 and 80ms...I'm thinking Warzone servers are an issue instead of our routers?

Hi ewhitey, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with this too. 

Checking things this end, your power and signal levels are all within optimal range, this includes things such as timeouts. There are no faults open that may be affecting you on the network either. 

As it stands, I'm unable to get a list of connected devices from the Hub so it would help if you could confirm whether you are connecting to your hub through the WiFi or ethernet cable. 

Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi there and thanks for your reply. 😊

I'm connected to the Hub 4 via my Asus router - Hub 4 in modem  mode and it appears to be a far ranging issue beyond my city   https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9195-bqm-showing-peak-time-latency-issues-for-virgin-media-users .

Also, here (below) is a typical example of my BQM which reflects those done over the past few weeks and also those of plenty of others. The issue mostly always occurs at the same times i.e. peak times and even when were not using heavily either. I am having transiently slow internet - ethernet and wifi and my TV boxes pixelate as well (multiple channels but Sky is the worst).  

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9b3a248f33902095a2b1728965291c78915c0c7e-28-04-2022

My gaming experience to be honest is becoming rather annoying to say the least!!! 😡