cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb broadband question

Willers
Joining in

Apologies if this has been done to death however I have a question. I was on the 200mb broadband and got 200 wired but WiFi in another room dropped to 50mb. I suspected an issue with the hub, tried WiFi extenders all no good. I have taken the hub 4 hoping the WiFi will improve. I’m getting 450 WiFi and about 900mb hard wired. Are these speeds within the accepted tolerance?

cheers for the advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Willers wrote:

Apologies if this has been done to death however I have a question. I was on the 200mb broadband and got 200 wired but WiFi in another room dropped to 50mb. I suspected an issue with the hub, tried WiFi extenders all no good. I have taken the hub 4 hoping the WiFi will improve. I’m getting 450 WiFi and about 900mb hard wired. Are these speeds within the accepted tolerance?

cheers for the advice

Yes.

Wired is limited due to the 1Gbps ethernet ports on the HUB, so around a max of 940Mbps including overheads for a specific device. Remember the full speed available is designed to be shared across multiple devices concurrently.

WiFi, where do you start! Distance from the HUB, walls, objects, other wireless networks in the area causing interference, what each device is capable of (10's of iterations of WiFi standards https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html).

The HUB 4 is WiFi 5 so technically is capable of 1733Mbps, however the device has to be capable as well.

As an example, even using a WiFi 6 ASUS router, my mobile only connects at 433Mbps as that is the limit of the WiFi card built into it.

Then, including overheads, I can only download at around 280 - 300Mbps (Around two thirds of connection speed).

Another example I upgraded a laptop to WiFi 6 and using my WiFi 6 ASUS router it connects at 1700 - 2100Mbps, and I can get the below, so full speed to one device:

When the HUB 5 is released to the masses, and hopefully bug free(!), you could potentially see faster speeds, on one device, as it has:

• One 2.5Gbps ethernet port.
  • WiFi 6.

Remember the device has to be capable of those speeds as well!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Willers wrote:

cheers for the advice

Yes.

Wired is limited due to the 1Gbps ethernet ports on the HUB, so around a max of 940Mbps including overheads for a specific device. Remember the full speed available is designed to be shared across multiple devices concurrently.

WiFi, where do you start! Distance from the HUB, walls, objects, other wireless networks in the area causing interference, what each device is capable of (10's of iterations of WiFi standards https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html).

The HUB 4 is WiFi 5 so technically is capable of 1733Mbps, however the device has to be capable as well.

As an example, even using a WiFi 6 ASUS router, my mobile only connects at 433Mbps as that is the limit of the WiFi card built into it.

Then, including overheads, I can only download at around 280 - 300Mbps (Around two thirds of connection speed).

Another example I upgraded a laptop to WiFi 6 and using my WiFi 6 ASUS router it connects at 1700 - 2100Mbps, and I can get the below, so full speed to one device:

When the HUB 5 is released to the masses, and hopefully bug free(!), you could potentially see faster speeds, on one device, as it has:

• One 2.5Gbps ethernet port.
  • WiFi 6.

Remember the device has to be capable of those speeds as well!

Cheers Carl, yeah WiFi in the same room is about 450 so as you say it’s probably the limits of the device. Thanks again for the advice. At least I know I’m getting what I should 👍🏻

@Willers wrote:

Cheers Carl, yeah WiFi in the same room is about 450 so as you say it’s probably the limits of the device. Thanks again for the advice. At least I know I’m getting what I should 👍🏻

You can access the HUB and check the 'Connected Devices' section which will show the speed each device is connected at.

Example below: