Menu
Highlighted
Holaboo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

10-15second lag spikes a few times a day while playing wow

Hi, 

I've recently started playing online games again and noticed that I get these random 10-15s lag spikes where I can still move but everybody else has frozen and then it all catches back up in about 10-15seconds. 

I have a 100mb broadband using the hub3 and after checking out the forum a little I have made sure that my firmware is the latest version. 

If anybody could help or point me in the right direction for solving this problem it would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I am in the Croydon area, not sure what the area code is 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: 10-15second lag spikes a few times a day while playing wow

You haven't said how your games device is connected to the Hub, which is an important factor. 

If it's by WiFi the connection is subject to lots of local effects that can affect the continuity of the signal.  In that case you should try a wired connection as a test to see if the problem remains.

If you still get dropouts with a wired connection the problem could be either with VM's incoming broadband or with your games device hardware or software.  To check the broadband, set up a BQM test.  Let it run for a day or two and post the result here.  It will show if the dropouts are due to VM.

0 Kudos
Holaboo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey there, thanks for the quick reply.

I am connected via Wifi but my  laptop is literally sitting 10 cm away from the hub3.

I've already had a BQM running for a few days here is the graph

BQM

There seems to be so much dropout on the graph though...which is worrying

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

According to that BQM, you have no service at all.  If that's the case you need to call in to 150 for a remote test and probable engineer visit.

How did you post that last message?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so  much, Jpeg1.

That will prove useful to others who will be able to see this, too. I would like to add that in case of any outages in one's area, a real time report can be gathered with the service status checking tool, and one will be able to get updates as one signs up on the tool.

Thanks.
Ning_Q

0 Kudos
Holaboo
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Not sure why the BMQ shows 100% outage while my internet is still working Smiley Frustrated 

It seems that the BQM is inconsistent as packet loss isn't nearly as bad as the BQM suggests.

There are no outages in my area according to VM service status and once again I got maybe 5-6 spikes of 5-10 seconds during raid tonight, I would call tech support but I have to hold the line for 30+ mins only to be told to restart my hub3.... and also with these very intermittent issues they will usually run a test, see that internet is fine and be like there is no problem.

Any other ideas to try would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Jpeg1's idea of wiring the device will prevent packet loss as the signal goes uninterrupted into the device through the ethernet cable. Do you game wired?

If you need to do a speed test, this can be done here.

If you'd like to go for some diagnostics on your setup and connection, we can do this via online chat.

Thanks.

Ning_Q

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Holaboo wrote:

Not sure why the BMQ shows 100% outage while my internet is still working Smiley Frustrated 

It seems that the BQM is inconsistent as packet loss isn't nearly as bad as the BQM suggests.

There are no outages in my area according to VM service status and once again I got maybe 5-6 spikes of 5-10 seconds during raid tonight, I would call tech support but I have to hold the line for 30+ mins only to be told to restart my hub3.... and also with these very intermittent issues they will usually run a test, see that internet is fine and be like there is no problem.

Any other ideas to try would be greatly appreciated

Ignore the red blocks, known HUB3 fault. What you are looking for are spikes rather than blocks as thats a WAN side dropout.

Given those are not evident on the BQM, it looks more like a LAN issue- have you tried a CAT6 cable direct to HUB? whilst its maybe not a permanent solution, at least it would give us some metrics.....

0 Kudos
Holaboo
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What is a cat6 cable?

i have a spare usb c port on my laptop so I ordered a usbc to ethernet adaptor which should arrive tomorrow.

Will see if that helps and report back

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,Holaboo.

Thanks for posting your updates here.

Really sorry to hear if you're experiencing intermittent or lag connection while playing with your device. I also use my services for entertainment and  lot of important things, so I can understand how frustrating it is when things aren't working properly while I'm using it. Can you please tell us if there are any improvements since your last post? Please let us know.

For additional information,  there are different types of cables, some of them are cat5, cat5e and cat6. Cat6 cable supports higher performance.  Hope this answer your question.

You may also try the following:

1.Switch off your hub and your laptop device.

2.Wait for a few minutes and then switch the hub back and wait for it to fully boot.

3.Then, switch laptop on and also wait for them to be fully boot.

If the problems persists, we can help further by looking in to your account and identify issues there maybe and we can do this via online chat. Please let us know how it goes.

^Shay_S

0 Kudos