Menu
axium13
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Engineer Visit

I am having problems with my Hub 3 which keeps rebooting randomly. It has been going on for a few weeks now and a visit was arranged for today between 12noon ad 7pm. It is Easter saturday and I wanted to go out but I wanted to get the fault fixed, so I waited in all afternoon. To my annoyance having waited in no one arrived. I phoned Virgin and after a long wait was informed that there was now a local problem with the service and my visit was cancelled.

It would have been nice of a communications company to keep me informed what was going on instead of letting me wait in all afternoon. I think this is appaling customer service and Virgin Media should be ashamed. I am posting this complaint here because I cannot find anywhere on the Virgin Media website that gives a email address to complain to.

I am begining to regret changing to the new (inproved) equipment as I cannot connect the new V6 box via my Home Theatre system with an HDMI cable as I did with my Tivo box. If I try and connect with an HDMI cable I get an error message about not having a 2.2 compatible TV. Once more Virgin Media have been very unhelpful, in that they told me it is not their fault, but it is due to connecting via a third party equipment. Funny it all worked fine with a Tivo box and the only thing that has changed is the Tivo has been swapped for a V6 box. Once more Virgin Media customer service has been shown to be very poor. Unless something is sorted soon I am going back to Sky.

From a very frustrated customer

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Engineer Visit

Either your Home Theatre system and/or your TV is not HDCP 2.2 compatible. A workaround is to connect your TV directly to the V6 by HDMI cable and run an optical lead from the V6 to the AVR or amp.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
axium13
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. My TV is old and not HDCP 2.2 complient, my AVR is 2.2 complient. So how come if I connect the V6 directly to my non complient TV it works fine, but when I connect to a complient AVR it does not work, it does not make sense. Everything was fine when I had my TIVO box connected the same way, but simply swapping to a new V6 box I get this error. I have spoken to a very helpful person at Yamaha who explained that it is a known problem with the new V6 box and that Virgin could fix it with an update to the box.

I have used the work around that you suggest but it takes away all the advantages of connecting video through the AVR so as far as I am concerned is a downgrade to my visual experience since upgrading to the new V6 box and Virgin ought to aknowledge that there is a problem with the new equipment and work on giving us all a fix. Its called customer service.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Under the 2.2 standards if one part of the chain is 2.2 all parts of the chain must be 2.2, it makes no sense but Virgin must adhere to the standards as a part of of the broadcasting agreement 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If your TV is HDCP 1.4 compliant, the V6 negotiates a handshake with it if directly connected. The problem arises when the connection is via an audio system.

--
0 Kudos
axium13
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The system worked fine with a Tivo box, so I still think it is a Virgin Media problem with the new box and they should be working on a solution.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VM is not working on a solution, so you need to take action.

--
0 Kudos
axium13
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Like going back to Sky.? Or trying someone like Plusnet that has good reviews for customer service. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think that you'll find the same issue with Sky. If there is an intermediate device between the source and player, the powers that be don't want you doing something like making a recording, so that intermediate device must be HDCP 2.2 compliant as well.

--
0 Kudos
axium13
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thats what is so annoying, the intermediate device (my A/V receiver) is HDCP 2.2 complient. It is the final link (my TV) that is not HDCP 2.2 complient. I repeat that there was not a problem with the Tivo box so it is the new VirginV6 box that is causing the problem.

0 Kudos