cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virginmedia SMC Policy Violation bounce error

CWildeRE
On our wavelength

Hi,

We're an ESP sending emails on behalf of cleints who are receiving the following bounce error from virgin media domains (blueyonder, ntlworld, virginmedia) across multiple different domains and IPs:

SMTP service unavailable: "421 4.2.0 MXIN618 Temporary SMC Policy Violation detected, retry later ;id=KdKFlqEMxa7TsKdKFlL2Ap;sid=KdKFlqEMxa7Ts;mta=mx12.tb;dt=2021-03-12T09:39:16+01:00;ipsrc=xx.xx.xx.xx;" received from mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net (212.54.56.11) while connected from SENDINGDOMAIN.co.uk (xx.xx.xx.xx) to mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net (212.54.56.11)

We have tried "sending later", as suggested in the error but no emails are being allowed through. Would someone please be able to help me with the cause of this error, and how we may resolve it moving forwards? I can't find any information on it online nor action I can take for it to be removed.

If there is elsewhere better to post this question, please let me know and I'll be happy to move it.

Many thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

As I started this with you I'll add that you are unlikely to get a detailed explanation as to what has happened beyond being told that adjustments were made to the Cloudmark spam filters to avoid these rejections.  In all fairness that's all the VM team here get told. I wish we would get more because it helps when dealing with other cases. Interestingly we had two further incidences of this after yours and they have apparently been resolved too. It may just have been a small tear in the fabric of the universe, now repaired, that caused this.  Glad it seems to be fixed though. You were a delight to exchange messages with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

62 REPLIES 62

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

We do get some interesting errors from the VM mail exchangers here. This is the first I have seen with this one. The six hundred series of MXIN messages seems to be related to the data being sent which the mail exchangers are unhappy with. I shall escalate this to the VM Forum Team here so they can take it up with the people who are in contact with the mail server operation in The Netherlands. These servers are run by Ziggo Internet on behalf of the wider Liberty Media group of which VM is a part. Wait here for the reply. I shall be extremely interested to see what is going on here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

CWildeRE
On our wavelength
Thanks Howard, I look forward to seeing what the issue is!

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Listen, you are the internet guys! What is an SMC policy error violation? I know some stuff but not this stuff.

@CWildeRE

CWildeRE
On our wavelength

Hi Howard,

Was this intended for me? I can't see anything else relating to this message in the forum. Let me know if there's any more info you'd need from me.

Thanks,

Chris

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

Yes it was for you. Do you know what an SMC policy violation is? It's in the error message. I've never the seen the term. I know what the error message code MXIN is saying, at least I think I do. Just asking and chatting.

CWildeRE
On our wavelength

Ahh, sorry! Yeah not sure myself, I've never seen the SMC Policy Violation error before and suddenly we're getting quite a few. The data we're sending to is recently engaged as well so I'd be confused if data quality is a problem

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

You and me both then. I'm not an IT professional, just someone with an interest in this world. As a VIP we get direct access to VM's team here which is why I can escalate and prevent you having to hang around for an answer, or at least get the ball rolling more quickly on finding out what is going wrong.

CWildeRE
On our wavelength

Thanks for your help! I'm usually able to understand what the bounce errors mean most of the time, or actions to take to resolve it but there are a fair few like this one that leave me flabbergasted. 

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

I've found this:

https://community.ziggo.nl/t5/Internet/Alle-Email-fails-naar-mx11-tb-mail-iss-as9143-net/m-p/738743

You might need to use Google translate to see what is going on. You are likely being greylisted for spam. That should help the VM team here get this resolved for you. I do not advise that you go direct to Ziggo on this.  

@ModTeam  - to xref with my escalation.