cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin.net unable to reset password

JJRevett
Joining in

My e-mail stopped working from Outlook. Log into Virgin media but unable to reset password, "this password does not work" multiple times. Have tried the solutions on this forum e.g. Outlook logging does not give green line in file. Spoke to Virgin helpdesk, they said Talk Talk own virgin.net . Talk Talk say it's with Virgin. I need to reset my password to get my Outlook working again. Strangely I can see my e-mails are still working on my mobile logging in virgin.media but I cannot log into virgin.media on my desktop.

9 REPLIES 9

jem101
Superstar

@JJRevett wrote:

My e-mail stopped working from Outlook. Log into Virgin media but unable to reset password, "this password does not work" multiple times. Have tried the solutions on this forum e.g. Outlook logging does not give green line in file. Spoke to Virgin helpdesk, they said Talk Talk own virgin.net . Talk Talk say it's with Virgin. I need to reset my password to get my Outlook working again. Strangely I can see my e-mails are still working on my mobile logging in virgin.media but I cannot log into virgin.media on my desktop.

OK firstly a couple of things, the TalkTalk own virgin.net, is complete rubbish, this has been a recurring issue for years, it isn't true, it never has been true, the fact that even now you have been told that is testament to the offshore customer services staff are given absolutely no meaningful training* and are left to just make stuff up where your request doesn't fit their pre-scripted responses.

Now when you say you can't log in on your desktop, does that mean it doesn't;t work when trying to use webmail, ie seeing your emails in a web browser?

This is the most important question, are you a current VM broadband customer? If you are, have you had any break in service or moved address since the email account was first set up? The reason I ask is that your experience does hint to the virgin.net email address being deleted, web access is the first to go.

If this is the case, then you do have a limited time to copy any emails you want to keep because, I fear that the entire email address is living on borrowed time.

* any member of the forum team care to comment, remember 'all trained to the same high standards', Kath, Nat, anyone? No; thought not?

Thanks for your reply.

Just to confirm the first agent I spoke to was pretty useless, he transferred to another "helpdesk" where he told me it was nothing to do with Virgin and all with Talk Talk. Both agents said my email account was deactivated (but it is still active see below!)

Webmail using virgin.media I cannot log in as it doesn't recognise the password and trying to reset it I get the error message about the new password not working.

On my mobile (probably because I had accessed webmail before) I can access webmail and all my e-mails are there and fully up to date.

Outlook stopped working Tuesday, cannot send or receive, keep wanting the password, password doesn't work (hence trying to reset)

Never been a VM customer I have had this e-mail address for 25+ plus years.

So  in summary e-mail still working via mobile web mail, Outlook and Webmail on desktop not happy.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JJRevett,

Thank you for your post, I am sorry you are having issues with your email. As per our new terms and conditions listed here if you do not have an active Virgin Media account the mail box may have been removed.

Zoie

Hi Zoie,

I need further support as my virgin.net e-mails are still working as I can see them coming through webmail on my i-Pad where I have previously logged in (the log in is saved/remembered by the iPad). However on my desktop through Outlook (which virgin.net mail stopped working Tuesday) or logging into Virgin media on other devices I cannot access my e-mail. I cannot access e-mail through a client such as Mail2Web either.

Therefore my question is, it is clear my virgin.net e-mails are still working, why is that if you tell my Virgin Media account is suspended?

25 years I have been with you as virgin.net customer, it is a complete disaster to try and rework everything from start. I also received no information that this would happen.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Information from this post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

Dial up - there were a number of services, the virgin.net service was a joint venture between the Virgin Group and ntl/telewest.  To keep a dial up account and it's associated email addresses active it was necessary to dial in to the service at least once every 180 days.  This service closed in 2013.  Any email access SHOULD have been lost naturally once the dial up service closed.

From what you have previously posted you appear to have been in this group.

The situation has changed since the referred to post was made as Virgin Media no longer provide an email address to any new customers. Legacy customers who have an existing Virgin Media email address are able (currently) to continue using this service, but it's more than likely that at some point this will also be withdrawn.

Far better to transfer your email to a non ISP provided one which is properly supported, and one which will remain active even if you change ISP.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thanks for your helpful reply.

As my e-mails are still flowing from virgin.net is it technically possible to access the server until such a time comes when they turn it off?

This is in reference to your comment:

Legacy customers who have an existing Virgin Media email address are able (currently) to continue using this service, but it's more than likely that at some point this will also be withdrawn.

I have never had a virgin.media account, on the rare occasion when I needed to access my e-mails away from home, I always logged into the virgin.media website using my virgin.net email as my log in, which has been over the last 15 years or so. My virgin.net e-mails have been accessed every day since I signed up with them 25 years + ago.

Thanks!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@JJRevett wrote:

Thanks for your helpful reply.

As my e-mails are still flowing from virgin.net is it technically possible to access the server until such a time comes when they turn it off?

<snip>

Your account is, by the sound of it, in the process of being deleted by VM. You should rapidly set about switching your various online accounts and services so they use a new email address from one of the free providers.

Changing email address on your various online accounts may well require confirmation via emails to your old virgin.net email address so you should set about making such changes while you still have limited access on your mobile phone to the old virgin.net email address (before the virgin.net email ceases to work altogether).

We do appreciate any frustration with the closing of the email address. As goslow has advised we would recommend ensure you gather all emails you need and send them to another address to ensure you don't lose them. 

^Martin

Thank you to everyone on this forum who has helped cut through my issues and the advice offered which I am now following.

It is heart breaking that something that has been part of my life for over 25 years which has brought me the news of joy, sadness and laughter, that has been my connection to my friends and life has been cut off with no communication and appalling support from the Virgin Group.

It is a sad day.