Menu
mhains
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

virgin.net password reset

Hi,

I've have an old virgin.net email address that I have had for years now. I believe someone has hacked into it as I received a couple emails with my email and password in the subject and demanding bitcoins as they supposedly used it to hack into my device. Pretty confident they can't use this to do so (and the fact that I received this twice from different email addresses) but the fact my login details are out there is a problem.

I've slowly been moving to a different email anyway but I would still like to correct this. Unfortunately when I try to log into my virgin.net account it says my details are incorrect and when I go through the forgotten password route it tells me it can't find my email.

I've seen a few similar threads of people trying to reset old virgin.net accounts but has anyone actually been able to do so / is anyone able to help me reset this?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: virgin.net password reset

Are you an existing VM broadband customer?  When you sign in to your billing area, is the email address linked to the billing account?  It would show under my services (scroll down in my profile), or on the manage accounts tab as per these images:

new account.pngmy services.png

Read this thread on Orphan addresses and let us know more about your situation - then we can advise what might be able to be done.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

If you are not a VM customer, then this may be the first sign that your email address is finally closing down - which should happen 90 days (or 1 year for former dial-up customers) after leaving service.  It often lingers in the system for years, but VM is finding and deleting these non-compliant addresses.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
mhains
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply,

I have an existing Virgin Broadband account but not linked to this virgin.net email. 

Sounds like I have little choice but to stop using it and hope it will go 90 days without being accessed so it'll be removed.I also used the Live Chat feature to speak with someone who also confirmed this is all I can do unless I want to attempt to link the virgin.net account to my Virgin Broadband one. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

From reading this forum for a few months, I've picked up a few things.  It seems to me that you probably had a break in service (or finished dial-up) and when you started broadband, no one told you about Move and Transfer, which would have preserved your virgin.net email address, properly linked to your existing services account.

You can probably still get a Move and Transfer, which the VM Forum Team will be able to check for you.  There is one problem in that any email addresses linked to the account would be deleted - you have to choose which SET of email addresses you want to keep - the old ones or the new ones.  They get transferred over as a job lot.

Now - something the chat staff did not offer - whether you ARE a VM customer or not.  If you want the old address permanently shut down/deleted, you have every right to that!  It is potentially causing you financial difficulty and personal data security problems.  It can be done within a few days.  Just wait for a Forum Team member to contact you through this thread and also via Private Message to get your personal details.  They can check the exact status of all your information and give you advice for you to make a decision.

And in my opinion - as you are a customer, they should help you reset that address password, so you can secure your details, backup your data and contacts and then close it when YOU are ready!  (But I can't be sure they will, obviously)

Good luck.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi mhains,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your post. I'm sorry for any difficulties you've had accessing your email account or getting this issue resolved.

We can certainly take a look into this for you, although the action taken will depend on a number of things. In order to collect the necessary information and discuss this in detail, we'll need to clear account security. I'll send you a private message as we would never request secure information via an open platform. Please head to the purple envelope in the top right corner to respond.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
jv1
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have recently lost all my data from my hard drive and all my email settings. I have an old virgin.net account which was my main email address. I urgently need access to these emails, if only to get back the address book. I've forgotten my password. I realise from your post that I should have got rid of this address years ago, which I will now do. I just talked to someone at virginmedia and they said it's attached to talk talk. Is that possible? Is there any way of recovering the password/accessing my emails?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

its not attached to talktalk More rubbish from VM scall centre (@modteam this crap has to stop)

are you still a VM internet customer? If not VM staff wont be able to help you reset hte password. All they can do is make sure the account gets deleted as it should of been already

jv1
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your reply

Yes, I am a virginmedia customer.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator