Menu
arthurking
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

virgin.net orphaned account

I have a virgin.net email account from my days as a dial-up customer back in the last century (1990s).  I later started accessing the account via BT broadband (virgin cable is not available in my area).  I understand virgin.net was then sold to TalkTalk and that because I had no TalkTalk accont the virgin.net service would cease after 12 months.  Fair enough.

However, my email account did not stop working after 12 months and although I had moved to another email provider my virgin.net account was still active until a few weeks ago.

Because my virgin.net account was still active I used to receive the occasional email from old contacts and I would reply from my new email address.  Fine.

However, my virgin.net account was blocked a few weeks ago BUT it can still receive emails.  I've tested this by sending it email and it doesn't bounce back.  So anyone old contact sending me an email on virgin.net will get no reply because I can't receive it but will not know why.

I don't care about losing my virgin.net email account but I would like it to be TOTALLY removed so that anyone sending email will get a bounced back message saying 'invalid email address' or something similar.

Virgin Media says it's not their problem because virgin.net was sold to TalkTalk but they won't talktalk to me because I don't have a TalkTalk account!

Any ideas?  I just want my email address properly deleted.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net orphaned account

Let's clear a few things up, Virgin.net was not sold to talk talk and still belongs to Virgin, if you can't access the email it's probably in the process of being deleted,however if you wish to speed it up you can request it here and it will be done fairly quickly

arthurking
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks for that clarification.  I must have read this post about ADSL access to dial-up virgin.net email differently: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/m-p/3492073#M147177

So, who should I contact to unlock or totally delete my virgin.net email account?

I'd rather not post my personal details on a public forum.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wait on here for the Forum Team to respond.

When they do they will ask for the information via private message.

Note: Please don't PM them out of the blue, wait for them to get to this thread.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

arthurking
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can you please remove the Helpful answer mark from my previous post.

This Forum has an unusual quirk where Helpful answer is used to mark your problem solved.  If you merely want to give thanks use the Kudo button instead.

If you go to the post in question and click post options, you'll get a menu which includes Unmark as Helful answer.

Tim

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there arthurking, 

Welcome to the forums and for your first post Smiley Happy 

As our Superuser ravenstar68 advised, we can indeed delete your email address from our systems - I'll pop you a private message so we can go through security and help you out - just look out for the purple envelop and get back in touch when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Katie

I'll leave this in your hands.

Tim

0 Kudos