Menu
arthurking
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

virgin.net orphaned account

I have a virgin.net email account from my days as a dial-up customer back in the last century (1990s).  I later started accessing the account via BT broadband (virgin cable is not available in my area).  I understand virgin.net was then sold to TalkTalk and that because I had no TalkTalk accont the virgin.net service would cease after 12 months.  Fair enough.

However, my email account did not stop working after 12 months and although I had moved to another email provider my virgin.net account was still active until a few weeks ago.

Because my virgin.net account was still active I used to receive the occasional email from old contacts and I would reply from my new email address.  Fine.

However, my virgin.net account was blocked a few weeks ago BUT it can still receive emails.  I've tested this by sending it email and it doesn't bounce back.  So anyone old contact sending me an email on virgin.net will get no reply because I can't receive it but will not know why.

I don't care about losing my virgin.net email account but I would like it to be TOTALLY removed so that anyone sending email will get a bounced back message saying 'invalid email address' or something similar.

Virgin Media says it's not their problem because virgin.net was sold to TalkTalk but they won't talktalk to me because I don't have a TalkTalk account!

Any ideas?  I just want my email address properly deleted.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net orphaned account

Let's clear a few things up, Virgin.net was not sold to talk talk and still belongs to Virgin, if you can't access the email it's probably in the process of being deleted,however if you wish to speed it up you can request it here and it will be done fairly quickly

arthurking
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks for that clarification.  I must have read this post about ADSL access to dial-up virgin.net email differently: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/m-p/3492073#M147177

So, who should I contact to unlock or totally delete my virgin.net email account?

I'd rather not post my personal details on a public forum.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wait on here for the Forum Team to respond.

When they do they will ask for the information via private message.

Note: Please don't PM them out of the blue, wait for them to get to this thread.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

arthurking
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can you please remove the Helpful answer mark from my previous post.

This Forum has an unusual quirk where Helpful answer is used to mark your problem solved.  If you merely want to give thanks use the Kudo button instead.

If you go to the post in question and click post options, you'll get a menu which includes Unmark as Helful answer.

Tim

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there arthurking, 

Welcome to the forums and for your first post 🙂 

As our Superuser ravenstar68 advised, we can indeed delete your email address from our systems - I'll pop you a private message so we can go through security and help you out - just look out for the purple envelop and get back in touch when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Katie

I'll leave this in your hands.

Tim

0 Kudos
dcweather
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It appears this is exactly what has happened to me. I should have come here first having spent hours being passed around various baffled Virgin media help lines. They finally managed to explain this to me but not as clearly as various places on here. So yesterday my virgin.net email stopped working, or at least sending. It appeared just to be a password login issue because that was all that ever came up. It was impossible to set a new PW and my security questions failed like telling me mother's maiden name was wrong !! So, I have established that the virgin.net email was part of my original and now different ASDL account. I do remember a few years back being told it was no longer supported but would continue to be able to be used. That was the last I heard. It has continued to be my main email. Now the plug has been pulled with no warning!! The on-line help keep banging on about 90 days notice but didn't inform me!! Also Virgin Media still send me promotions via my virgin.net address! How sick is that? They say there is nothing they can do and they can't access it because it is a deactivated account. Yet my wife can access the same account  because her virgin.net email is still active. It is diabolical in my opinion that after all these years they couldn't contact a loyal and current customer to tell them they were killing their email account and losing all the details from it. I'd also like to know if all that personal data from my emails is securely destroyed? Any thoughts, comments?

Dave

0 Kudos
arthurking
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I raised this issue some 4 months ago and went through the process to have my defunct virgin.net email address deleted.

However, if I send an email to the 'deleted'  address it does not bounce back as 'undeliverable', which I was expecting if it had really been deleted, and presumably the email address is still actually receiving emails even though it's no longer possible (I'm told) to retrieve them.

So if any old contacts try to contact me (and I used virgin.net for over 20 years!) it will seem like I'm just ignoring them whereas an 'undeliverable' message will at least explain why I'm not replying.

Can anything been done to *really* delete my old email addresses?

0 Kudos