Menu
Cosworth44
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

virgin.net emails

my .net account has been compromised.I try to change my password on the main page.I know the one I use and it is remembered automatically on my phone but the password cannot be reset as it ask me a security question which I know the answer too but it tells me it is wrong.A phone call to virgin media did not help either as I don't have a virgin media account,only a .net email.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net emails

Welcome to the community Cosworth44,

I've got good news and bad news for you.  

The good news is that you will soon have excellent spam filtering and a host of wonderful services provided by world class email providers.  That is because the bad news is ~~~ you will have to change your email address.

As a former customer, your email service should have been deleted completely 90 days after you left.   VM are gradually finding these orphan accounts and deleting them without warning.

My advice to you is to set up an alternative email address NOW.  Preferably with a non-ISP provider.  Backup all your existing emails (if you can access via an email client using your old password), and start notifying all your contacts of your new address in order of importance to you.  Set up forwarding if you can.  If you do not have VM web mail access, you will have to re-build your contact list.

But the hammer will drop and you don't want to be left wondering what to do.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

When you are ready, come back here and a VM employee can delete the account permanently so that you don't fall prey to hacking, scammers or spoofing (I hope).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And in your last few words lies the answer to your question. You no longer have a virgin.net address. If you are not a VM broadband customer you have no right to use VM e-mail. Your virgin.net account should have been ended long ago and VM are now making sure it is ended.

You might be able to get access using an e-mail client with your e-mail address as user name and your existing password, though that will only temporary until that route is switched off.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Cosworth44
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Could you please tell me how I can direct all my .net emails to a new email account,inc the old ones and also do the ports have to be changed on the pop3 setting etc for both pc and my mobile.

regards

Paul

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Cosworth44 wrote:

Could you please tell me how I can direct all my .net emails to a new email account,

You cannot do that unless you can regain access to you virgin.net account. However, the email app on your phone and the email client on your pc will continue to pick up your virgin.net emails as long as they have the correct password for the .net account.

inc the old ones

Again, the email apps on your phone and pc will continue to hold copies of your old emails even after the virgin.net account has been deleted by VM. So you should already have copies of those old emails backed up onto those devices.

and also do the ports have to be changed on the pop3 setting etc for both pc and my mobile.

Best to leave the current settings for your virgin.net account alone. To manage your new email account using the existing software on your phone and pc you will need to add new account settings for that account on each device. As an aside, if you have 2 devices it might be better to use IMAP rather than POP3 for your new email account.

See this link to check out the difference https://support.office.com/en-US/article/What-are-IMAP-and-POP-ca2c5799-49f9-4079-aefe-ddca85d5b1c9 but ultimately that's your choice.Smiley Wink

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Cosworth44
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

thank you. As I cannot forward any emails I thought there would have been an archive but as I cannot get into the virgin. Mail app on the phone I deleted it and it does not exist in the App Store anymore. 

I presume it makes no odds to make the new email the default until people know it or the .net stops receiving mail

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Cosworth44 wrote:

as I cannot get into the virgin.

One thing you could try is to enter the answer to your security question in UPPER CASE. That might allow you to reset the password and allow you to set up an autofoward.

Be aware though that the autoforward may well end up forwarding a lot of junk. Also, if VM are going to delete the email soon there is not a lot of point setting an autoforward.

Mail app on the phone I deleted it and it does not exist in the App Store anymore. 

That was a bit reckless if you don't mind me saying.Smiley Embarassed

I presume it makes no odds to make the new email the default until people know it or the .net stops receiving mail

Your new email will be your default from now won't it? Smiley Indifferent

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Cosworth44
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can get emails through both at the moment. The pc uses windows live mail 2011 but I get virgin thru this. Is this also redundant and the new outlook I have opened work thru it also

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Cosworth44 wrote:

I can get emails through both at the moment.

That's great, keep both those going. Smiley Wink

As I said earlier you will need to set up additional new accounts on your phone and pc email apps to enable you to manage your new non VM email account that you have signed up to as your virgin.net replacement.

Coenoby