cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin.net emails no longer working

steveceltic2
Tuning in

My wife's email address at virgin.net is no longer working.

It was working 2 weeks ago. I cannot access her emails anywhere online. Does anyone know where one goes to access virgin.net on line? Anyone know who to contact about virgin.net issues?

My virgin.net email is working fine.

Tahnk you.

21 REPLIES 21

Technically you were informed, it was in the original terms and conditions (yes I know, nobody reads them, but still).

Think of it like this, maintaining a mailbox and address costs money, you (or your wife) pay Virgin Media nothing, so why would they maintain a system for her, potentially for ever, when they are getting nothing back? It’s a bit like joining a golf club and enjoying the subsidised bar, then leaving and not paying any subs but expecting to still be allowed into the bar and complaining when security gets it’s act together and turns you away!

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Steve, sorry to hear about what's happened with your wife's email address.

It's confirmed in the terms & conditions when signing up that the email service is only for active broadband account holders, and will be closed within 90 days of disconnection as advised above.

I'm sorry we're not able to help further on this occasion.

Tom 

Tom, to allow the email address to be used for over 7 years and then block it without any warning is appauling behaviour.

Please state that the email account cannot be retrieved.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies. It's not unheard of for the email addresses to remain active for longer than the 90 days stated in the t&c's I've encountered it a few times on these forums so I appreciate this will be disappointing after using the email address for so long, but unfortunately it doesn't change the outcome, if you don't have an active broadband account the email address cannot be recovered. 

Tom

@steveceltic2 although I am not an VM employee, I do know more than enough about how this stuff works to be able to say that, no it won’t be reactivated.

Jem, I see no reason what so ever, not to inform a user that their email account is about to be destroyed. Nor, to answer your question for Virgin to seek a payment for the maintenance of such an account.

Legally, there is a form of easement here, all beit internet access not land usage.

Your wording is unambiguous.

Please give me your complaints teams contact details.

If anyone else seeks a class action against VirginMedia then please contact me.

[MOD EDIT: REMOVED]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services

Section D:6

Any email address allocated by us to you will at all times belong to us and you may not transfer the address to any person.  If this agreement ends, your right to use that email address will also end and you will no longer be able to use the email address, so please make sure you have an alternative email address and let your contacts know of the change, as we cannot do this for you.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/virginmedia/dotcom/en/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy...

Section 6:5:

It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your Virgin Media email account. Upon suspension or termination of services the content may be removed and permanently deleted by Virgin Media without notice.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-cance

Item 3

If you cancel your services we’ll give you access to your Virgin Media Mail account for 90 days before we close it. This should provide enough time for you to save any contacts, emails and files you wish to keep.

It's also worth noting Section 1:4 of the Acceptable Use Policy

We may amend, modify or substitute this AUP at any time. Your continued use of any Virgin Media services after any such amendment, modification or substitution constitutes your acceptance of any new AUP. We recommend that you visit our website regularly to check for any updates or amendments to this AUP.

This item puts the onus on the customer to be aware of exactly what their contract contains and how any changes to that contract may affect them.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

@steveceltic2 wrote:

Jem, I see no reason what so ever, not to inform a user that their email account is about to be destroyed. Nor, to answer your question for Virgin to seek a payment for the maintenance of such an account.

Legally, there is a form of easement here, all beit internet access not land usage.

Legally VM no longer have a business contract with you. They are not allowed to contact you under GDPR rules without your permission that they need to have. they can't contact you to get this.

You had 7 years of free service you did well. Gmail is worth the time to setup

None of your observations counter the clearly obvious and equitable notion of Virgin contacting people, say a month, prior to deleting their emails.

Someone else raised the idea of it being free as well, a fair point to which the clear argument is Virgin should invite people to subscribe  to their services, which we once did,  else warn that their emails will be lost in X number of days.

Think about the number of contacts and sign ins that have been created over 12 years. Think about how all that has to be unpicked. Think about business contacts and emails that will never reach the recipient without the recipient even knowing they have been sent.