cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin.net emails no longer working

steveceltic2
Tuning in

My wife's email address at virgin.net is no longer working.

It was working 2 weeks ago. I cannot access her emails anywhere online. Does anyone know where one goes to access virgin.net on line? Anyone know who to contact about virgin.net issues?

My virgin.net email is working fine.

Tahnk you.

21 REPLIES 21

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@steveceltic2  Welcome to the VM Community Forum.

This is the best place to get help with Virgin.net email issues.

Can you confirm that you have a current VM broadband account and that the virgin.net email addresses concerned are tied to your broadband account?

The above is a requirement for continued use of such email addresses. 

Advice on what happens next depends on your answer to the account status.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you Graham, look forward to your help

Steven

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

We can't help until you answer the questions posed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

I'm sorry I cannot see any questions.

Steven

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@steveceltic2 wrote:

I'm sorry I cannot see any questions.

Steven

Can you confirm that you have a current VM broadband account and that the virgin.net email addresses concerned are tied to your broadband account?

No I do not have a virgin broadband account.

The virgin.net emails were established before the sale to TalkTalk.

Steven

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That is what I feared would be the case.

If the email accounts concerned have not been moved to a VM broadband account then they should have been closed down some years ago.  Unfortunately the VM systems have been very poor at implementing their published policy on closing 'orphaned accounts'.

The VM Forum Team will not be able to regain access to the account for you, but they will be able to ensure that they are properly deleted.

They will respond to this thread and will contact you to confirm the account status.

I'm sorry that this will not be the news you were hoping for.

Then, unfortunately, the mailbox and all the mail within it are gone. The virgin.net addresses are somewhat complicated by the sale back in 2015 (I think) and there is a great deal of blatant BS floating about regarding this, but the basic principle is the same. To make use of a Virgin Media email email address, you must have an active VM broadband account with them, there is no other way of keeping it. 

In theory, 90 days after you leave, the mailbox is supposed to be deleted but quite often this doesn’t happen and it lingers on in a sort of zombie state. But eventually it gets tracked down and deleted, which is almost certainly what has happened to your wife’s.

Thank you for swift response.

Why was the user not informed that the account was going to be closed? Did Virgin not check how busy the account was?

It is difficult to believe it cannot be resurrected, even if temporarily so that the email contacts can be informed.

Steven