cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin.net email stopped working

NP62
Tuning in

Hi,

All of my Apple devices have stopped getting emails from my virgin.net account. I have tried to access via the web and my password does not seem to be recognised. Support have tried to update the password but it still doesn't work. It is now escalated but I urgently need access. Does anyone know how to fix this or access the emails?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NP62 wrote:

In response to the questions:

(1) I had someone else send a test email and that seems to be ok (no bouncing as of yet)

(2) My virgin.net account does not appear to be linked (although it is my contact email)

The Customer Support agent that I spoke with said that they had changed my virgin.net password but I was still not able to access the account.

Regarding my wife's email address, this is a virginmedia.com email under my "other virgin media email accounts". This also has the same problem - unable to receive/send email via Apple devices nor able to login via the web access. To me, this seems like the same problem.

Thank you for coming back with that information.

Based on that I am going to escalate this to the Forum Team( VM employees who support this forum).

If your virgin.net address does not appear in your My Virgin Media account then it is at grave risk of being in the course of being deleted by VM as it is what they refer to as an *orphan account". That would also explain why you are seeing the "We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again" error when you try to access the account on the VM Website and why resetting the password did not regain access to the account.

Regarding your wife's virginmedia.com account, is she also seeing that "didn't recognise the userrname / password" or is she seeing the "mailbox unavailable" error? That would have the same effect of stopping her from accessing her emails but is a completely different problem.

Whatever I think, I feel there is enough evidence to justify me escalating this to the Forum Team. That's as much as I can do to help you I 'm afraid. It's up to VM to resolve it for you.

One of the Forum Team will contact you via this thread (hopefully on Saturday) and will get your details via private message.This one is complicated so I can only hope it gets resolved for you.

Coenoby

If your

also

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

NP62
Tuning in

Neither myself nor wife are able to get email on all Apple devices (says password is not entered in settings but it is) and via web interface. I have a virgin.net email account that does not accept password anymore (so locked out as I can not reset via email...) and now my wife has the same problem with a virginmedia account. My blueyonder account does work via web...

This can not be a coincidence...what is going on?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NP62 wrote:

Does anyone know how to fix this or access the emails?

Basically, if the issue had to be escalated within VM support that strongly suggests there is a significant issue with the account which would mean there is no quick fix that you can use to regain access to the email account.

However, just to clarify exactly what is going on, do you get "We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again" error when you try to access the account from the VM website?

If so, I would try sending a test email to that address (from another account) and seeing if you get an error message back. If you do that means the account has been deleted and cannot be recovered. However I suspect that you will not get an error back and if so it means that the mailbox still exists but is currently not accessible.

Secondly, presumably if you got to speak to VM customer support you still have a VM broadband account but was that old virgin.net address ever linked to it? I must stress that just because it has been working fine up to now does not prove that the VM actually linked it to the new broadband account.

The best way to check is:

Sign into your "My Virgin Media" account, that's the one were you can view your VM bills and package details) from here https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn 

• The MYA interface is being updated but at the moment once you have signed in you need to click on "Account settings" then "Account details"
  • If the email address is your primary address it will show there - if it does not appear then -
  • It may be a secondary email address and you will need to click on the "Manage accounts" and check if it is one of the email address listed with the secondary accounts.

If the email address does not appear anyway then the most likely thing is that it was never linked to the account and it has now in the process of being deleted by VM because it is not linked to a current broadband account. Sadly, you will not be the first person that has happened to.

All you can do is to chase VM but if you carry out the checks I suggested;

(1) sending a test email to that address and (2) checking whether the email address appears in your My Virgin Media Account,

then you will be better informed when you talk to Customer Support.

It would be great if you could post back here with the results of those checks and also whether you were given a "Ticket number" by Customer support when the matter was escalated.

Armed with that information I could escalate this to the VM Forum Team but I am reluctant to do that without having a but more detail.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NP62 wrote:

Neither myself nor wife are able to get email on all Apple devices (says password is not entered in settings but it is) and via web interface. I have a virgin.net email account that does not accept password anymore (so locked out as I can not reset via email...) and now my wife has the same problem with a virginmedia account. My blueyonder account does work via web...

This can not be a coincidence...what is going on?

I don't know, there are a number of possibilities. Clearly if your Blueyonder account is still working it's a different problem to your virgin.net account

Regarding your virgin .net account, I suggested carrying out those two checks to try to answer that question for you.

Armed with the results of your findings I would at least be able to shine some light on what's going on with the virgin.net account

Coenoby

Hi,

Thank you for your response. In response to the questions:

(1) I had someone else send a test email and that seems to be ok (no bouncing as of yet)

(2) My virgin.net account does not appear to be linked (although it is my contact email)

The Customer Support agent that I spoke with said that they had changed my virgin.net password but I was still not able to access the account.

Regarding my wife's email address, this is a virginmedia.com email under my "other virgin media email accounts". This also has the same problem - unable to receive/send email via Apple devices nor able to login via the web access. To me, this seems like the same problem.

Nick

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NP62 wrote:

In response to the questions:

Thank you for coming back with that information.

Based on that I am going to escalate this to the Forum Team( VM employees who support this forum).

If your virgin.net address does not appear in your My Virgin Media account then it is at grave risk of being in the course of being deleted by VM as it is what they refer to as an *orphan account". That would also explain why you are seeing the "We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again" error when you try to access the account on the VM Website and why resetting the password did not regain access to the account.

Regarding your wife's virginmedia.com account, is she also seeing that "didn't recognise the userrname / password" or is she seeing the "mailbox unavailable" error? That would have the same effect of stopping her from accessing her emails but is a completely different problem.

Whatever I think, I feel there is enough evidence to justify me escalating this to the Forum Team. That's as much as I can do to help you I 'm afraid. It's up to VM to resolve it for you.

One of the Forum Team will contact you via this thread (hopefully on Saturday) and will get your details via private message.This one is complicated so I can only hope it gets resolved for you.

Coenoby

If your

also

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help - I think that regarding virgin.net you may be right, I have had this account for a very long time but it has always worked. I hope that it can become associated.

Regarding my wife's account - is it possible that via the Support agent changing my virginmedia account password this may have impacted my wife's email (which is one of my "other virgin media accounts"?

Thank you,

Nick

Regarding my wife's account, this is now resolved so it just my virgin.net account that has the issues...

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NP62 wrote:

Regarding my wife's account - is it possible that via the Support agent changing my virginmedia account password this may have impacted my wife's email (which is one of my "other virgin media accounts"?

Regarding my wife's account, this is now resolved so it just my virgin.net account that has the issues...

I am glad to hear that your wife's account has been sorted. It does sound as if it had been locked for some reason and it that just needed the password resetting. VM usually remain tight lipped when it comes to explaining why an email account has been locked so you'll probably never know the full details of what happened.

The VM Team can explain whether the virgin.net can be linked to your current  VM account.  There are limitations on what can be done in that regard.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

Coenoby

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @NP62,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry you're having some issues accessing your email account- glad the issue your wife had has been resolved 🙂

I have checked our systems and can see some notes that suggest an IT ticket has been raised on your behalf however I would like to take a closer look into this so will pop you a PM now to clear security first and we can take it from there 🙂

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope icon in the top right hand corner of your page for my message. 

Hope to hear from you soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs