Menu
bigjonblue
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

virgin.net email address not working

My virgin.net email address has had no new mail into it today 7/3/19. I have checked three different devices and the last email I have is from 7.00am. Additionally I am unable to access the account via webmail. My password does not seem to work and when I try to change it the response to the security questions I give which I know to be correct do not provide me with access. I cannot find anywhere to give me accurate detail about service status

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Rising star
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net email address not working

My first question - does Virgin Media currently provide your broadband service?  If so, can you access the billing area at my virgin media?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
bigjonblue
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No virgin media does not supply broadband service

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Rising star
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Then I am afraid to say that your address has probably been deleted from the VM system.  Email addresses provided by Virgin are only valid for 90 days after service stopped (sometimes longer for ADSL customers who were transferred to TalkTalk).

Although they linger in the back end systems for a long time (in some cases years) after that period ends, the webmail access is withdrawn and then the data is deleted.  Yours has started the purge process.  A way to test if it is still in there at the moment, is to try out the address in mailtester.com.  

You may still have a small window where you can access via a client such as Thunderbird, but if so - back up anything important in the emails and contacts and say goodbye to the virgin.net address.  You can get a better service from many of the non-ISP linked providers and not have this worry in the future.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

then vm wont supply your email.
It should of closed 90 days after you were no longer a customer. If it wasn't its just caught up with you

bigjonblue
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK

So I have had a bit of a senior moment with the security answer ( my mums Maiden name is entirely in capitals DOH!) and now have access to webmail and my email account is still live. The webmail however has the same last email. I know there have been emails sent to it because I have used a separate email address to check it. It seems to be sending emails OK

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Rising star
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That is good - now you have (an unknown quantity of) time to save your data and get yourself set up with an alternative email service.  Good luck bigjonblue!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@bigjonblue wrote:

OK

So I have had a bit of a senior moment with the security answer ( my mums Maiden name is entirely in capitals DOH!) and now have access to webmail and my email account is still live. The webmail however has the same last email. I know there have been emails sent to it because I have used a separate email address to check it. It seems to be sending emails OK

Now that you are back into webmail check the settings to see if any autoforwarding rules are set to forward incoming email away from your account.

bigjonblue
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I still do not understand if VM have closed the account why am I able to send email from this account but not receive? I have had this account since ~1997 and have not been a VM customer for many years. I understood verigin.net accounts worked similar to yahoo or live accounts.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

your account is being deleted. its a staged process so you've managed to get back in but the process will not stop. you need to recover any emails you want before you lose access altogether