cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin.net email address... no longer working

fox12345
Tuning in

It seems this is a common problem but desperately hoping someone has found a solution to this. My 83 year old father in law has suddenly lost his virgin.net emails... "Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices."

Is anyone able to offer a solution? I'm aware that Virgin have been deleting emails which no longer use their service etc, but this is entirely without warning. Even a final 24 hrs with his emails would help hugely...!! Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@fox12345 wrote:

I'm aware that Virgin have been deleting emails which no longer use their service etc, but this is entirely without warning.

Sadly, Virgin Media never seem to give any warning when they delete a so called "orphan account".

I assume your father in law does not have a VM broadband account although possibly he never had one. Virgin.net addresses were associated with the old Virgin.net ADSL (non cable) broadband service or their original dial up internet service both of which disappeared many years ago.

I would suggest you try to reset the password to something completely new using this link https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password?    Enter the email address as the username and follow the prompts. It will ask for some security information which may prove difficult to answer correctly after all these years!

However, even if you regain access to the account you and your father in law need to regard it as just a short temporary reprieve. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@fox12345 wrote:

I'm aware that Virgin have been deleting emails which no longer use their service etc, but this is entirely without warning.

Sadly, Virgin Media never seem to give any warning when they delete a so called "orphan account".

I assume your father in law does not have a VM broadband account although possibly he never had one. Virgin.net addresses were associated with the old Virgin.net ADSL (non cable) broadband service or their original dial up internet service both of which disappeared many years ago.

I would suggest you try to reset the password to something completely new using this link https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password?    Enter the email address as the username and follow the prompts. It will ask for some security information which may prove difficult to answer correctly after all these years!

However, even if you regain access to the account you and your father in law need to regard it as just a short temporary reprieve. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hi Coenoby

Resetting the password seems to have worked, HUGE thanks!! I've advised him to assume he has very little time, so we'll treat this as a warning. All very odd, he's had the email address for about 200 years without any issue! 😂

Thanks again, appreciate it.

@fox12345, indeed this is a recurring issue down to VM not always following their own procedures and guidelines and deleting old email accounts within the timescales they set. As you have seen, these accounts can linger on for years and years and give a real false sense of security and permanency. But they are always living on borrowed time and at some point they will get deleted!

With regard to any pre warning, in VM’s defence here, the terms and conditions were laid out in the original agreement (yes I know, nobody reads them or takes much notice,) but still… also if a person isn’t a paying customer, then it could be argued that VM have no right to contact them and really shouldn’t have any details for them, including an email address (blame GDPR for that one), legally VM could be on dodgy grounds if they WERE to pre warn people beforehand. 

Anyhow, I’m glad to see that access has been restored, but please, please, assume that it could go at any point again, and that might be tomorrow, next week, next month, next year - it is impossible to say, but what has been established is that once it goes for a second time, that really is it.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@fox12345 wrote:

Hi Coenoby

Thanks again, appreciate it.

No problem, it was a bit of a long shot but I am very pleased that it worked.

I can only reiterate everything that @jem101 has said.

In truth the fact that your father in law's virgin.net account has lasted this long is simply down to the fact that VM do not seem to be very good at keeping to their own terms and conditions.  They should have deleted the account years ago.

In my view, leaving these old accounts open has not done their ex customers any favours because everyone just assumes their email account will last for ever.

Coenoby

Thank you jem101...wise words!! Appreciate it !

Thanks again Coenoby!