Menu
tommy3
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

virgin.net account and just joined virgin media

As stated above I have a virgin.net account and thought I could just use this for my sign up. To my surprise this was not available. I know the question seems obvious but cant I use this account on virgin media. I understand from the forum this account has been moved to talk/talk is the account destined to disappear? or with me being a virgin customer can I keep it. 

Thanks for the help

Tommy

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net account and just joined virgin media

@tommy3 wrote:

I understand from the forum this account has been moved to talk/talk is the account destined to disappear?

No, not moved to TalkTalk. VM retained control of the virgin.net email accounts. It will be an orphan, not having a parent VM broadband account. There's a slim chance that it could be associated with your new VM BB account but you won't be able to sort that - the Forum Team may be able to do it though. Sit tight until one of them finds this thread and responds here. Might take a few days.

For some time now, all new VM email accounts have been virginmedia.com accounts.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
SDC
Super solver
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

FWIW, here's a useful sticky-post which should explain the situation: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@tommy3 wrote:

As stated above I have a virgin.net account and thought I could just use this for my sign up. To my surprise this was not available. I know the question seems obvious but cant I use this account on virgin media. I understand from the forum this account has been moved to talk/talk is the account destined to disappear? or with me being a virgin customer can I keep it. 

Thanks for the help

Tommy

If you've ACTUALLY JOINED and have a broadband account now, then the virgin.net account can be linked to your current account via the move and transfer process.

Note:  The move and transfer can be asked for but is actually done in the background, I would recommend waiting for the Forum Team to get to this thread - as they can make sure that this is done properly.

To reiterate what SDC has said - virgin.net email addresses WERE NOT handed over to TalkTalk, the domain remains under the ownership of Virgin Media (Liberty Global).

The reason TalkTalk were mentioned were that a good proportion of ADSL customers had virgin.net email addresses.

The ADSL side was sold to TalkTalk but the sale DID NOT include the virgin.net domain.  Instead those customers who migrated were allowed to retain access to the email service for 12 months following the migration instead of the usual 90 days.  In fact NO TalkTalk customer should have access to their virgin.net email address any longer.

The @ModTeam will get someone from the Forum Team to look at this thread and they will be able to effect the move and transfer for you.  So watch this space.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi tommy3,

I think that the advice already provided by SDC and ravenstar is correct.  We need to link your old email address to your current VM account, though I'll need to take a look first to confirm. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope, top right) and I'll get back to when I receive your reply 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos