Menu
Ewen11
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

virgin.net account access

Hi. I have a broadband, tv and house phone account with Virgin media. I have an email address that ends in virgin.net that was working perfectly until yesterday. I have accessed the account directly on the media web page recently but normally use Live Mail for ease and have the virgin emails redirected to a Gmail account for the mobile.

I cannot log into my account on the virgin web page and I am not receiving or able to send emails. The settings are correct in properties. The email is still live when checked on an email checker.

I accept that this will eventually be switched off but notice would be appreciated so that I can send a new email to all contacts.

How do I resolve the problem please?

Ewen

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net account access

@Ewen11 wrote:

I have a broadband, tv and house phone account with Virgin media. I have an email address that ends in virgin.net that was working perfectly until yesterday.

How do I resolve the problem please?

Virgin.net addresses date back to the old ADSL service which Virgin sold off to TalkTalk so did you get your virgin.net email address transferred to your current VM fibre Broadband account when it was set up?

Unless your .net address was transferred over to your new VM broadband account it was always on borrowed time.  If you cannot access the account via Live Mail or the VM online Webmail service that shows that the account has been closed.

To check if the address was transferred,  sign in to your VM 'My Virgin Media' account from here https://my.virginmedia.com

Then click on 'My Profile' and see if your .net account show up as your Username? If not you could click on 'Manage Accounts' and see if it is listed under the secondary accounts there.

The fact that the address is reported as 'live' in a mail tester simply means that traces of it (but not necessarily the emails in it) still exist.

Mail testers are really designed for email marketeers to use so that their marketing emails do not generate lots of bounce back messages and cause their business to be flagged as a spammer. Mail testers do not actually send a test email to check an email account is live. In most cases they they simply check that the relevant SMTP server will not respond with a bounce back message which is not quite the same thing as saying that the email address is actually live. 😉

I completely agree that it would be good if VM emailed a warning before closing the account but regrettably they never seem to.

As you are still a VM customer it is just possible that the VM Forum Team (VM employees) might be able to give you temporary access to the account again but I would not hold out too much hope on that.

One of the Team will contact you when they get to this post but that could take a while. They will take the details from you by PM (Private Message) via this forum. In the meantime please do not post any email addresses or personal information here.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ewen11
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Dear Coenoby.

Many thanks for your reply re the problem of VM .net web address being closed.

I have yet to hear from a VM Team to try and help.

Fortunately, I have not lost my old emails and contacts as these are saved on Livemail and also forwarded to the Gmail account.  What I have lost are the emails sent from the 24th Nov, the closed account date, and anyone that I haven't remembered to advise of the new address.

All that I need is access to the old account from Nov 24th to obtain the emails, advise the senders of a new address and then move on.

I am grateful that I had the account for must be over 20 years without a hitch or paying anything.

Many thanks

Ewen11

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Ewen11 wrote:
Many thanks for your reply re the problem of VM .net web address being closed.

I have yet to hear from a VM Team to try and help.

Unfortunately at the moment the Forum Team are currently taken a week or so to respond to posts.

I appreciate you flagging my earlier post as a Helpful Answer but it might help if you click on "Post Options" and remove the Helpful Answer flag - the Team might take the Helpful Answer flag to mean that you have resolved the problem and don't need to follow it up.

In the meantime one of the VIP (superuser) posters may be able to escalate this to the Forum Team.

Sorry I cannot help more. ☹️

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Ewen11
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Coenoby.

Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you want me to click 'Not a Helpful Answer' (even though it was) to help my cause?

Thanks

Ewen

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Ewen11 wrote:

Do you want me to click 'Not a Helpful Answer' (even though it was) to help my cause?

Yes, that's right.

It seems odd I know. However, you did give me kudos as well so I am more than happy with that.👍

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Ewen11
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

👍

0 Kudos