cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin email on Outlook on more than one device?

annebirgitta25
Joining in

can I still access my virgin email on Outlook on more than one device? I've set up on new mobile phone, but it's not working on my desktop any more

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@annebirgitta25 wrote:

can I still access my virgin email on Outlook on more than one device? I've set up on new mobile phone, but it's not working on my desktop any more

You can certainly set up a Virgin Media email account on more than one device using an email app or client such as Outlook. I currently have VM emails set up on an email app on my mobile phone, Outlook on one laptop and Thunderbird on another laptop and they are all working fine.

To trouble shoot what is going on with Outlook on you desktop it would be useful to know:

• in what way is it not working?  So, can you      send emails but not receive?    receive them but not send?    or   cannot send or receive?
  • what is the full error message/s you are seeing in Outlook
  • It seems that the email app on your mobile phone works ok but can you confirm that  it works when you are connecting using your VM wifi rather than using the mobile date service from your mobile service provider?

Also, it would be worth checking the account settings in Outlook on your desktop. This post gives the settings that VM have been recommended since 2017 https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@annebirgitta25 wrote:

You can certainly set up a Virgin Media email account on more than one device using an email app or client such as Outlook. I currently have VM emails set up on an email app on my mobile phone, Outlook on one laptop and Thunderbird on another laptop and they are all working fine.

To trouble shoot what is going on with Outlook on you desktop it would be useful to know:

• in what way is it not working?  So, can you      send emails but not receive?    receive them but not send?    or   cannot send or receive?
  • what is the full error message/s you are seeing in Outlook
  • It seems that the email app on your mobile phone works ok but can you confirm that  it works when you are connecting using your VM wifi rather than using the mobile date service from your mobile service provider?

Also, it would be worth checking the account settings in Outlook on your desktop. This post gives the settings that VM have been recommended since 2017 https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

thank you.

email on mobile phone working on both WiFi and Mobile data.

error message on desktop outlook: 
Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for removed reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for removed Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

looks like pop settngs on my mobile phone but IMAP on the desktop. Does this affect functions?

sorry - didn't check!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@annebirgitta25 wrote:

"looks like pop settngs on my mobile phone but IMAP on the desktop. Does this affect functions?"

It's not to  be recommended that's for sure but it's not what's causing your problem.

IMAP is the better option because it synchronises all your email folders whereas POP3 simply downloads incoming emails to your device. With POP3 it means that any emails you send from your mobile do not get copied back to your VM webmail account on the VM website or to your Outlook folders on the Desktop.

Having both protocols on the same email account can cause problems for POP3. For example, the situation can arise where IMAP in Outlook may have downloaded a new email to Outlook and when you next use your mobile phone POP3 assumes it does not have to download that email because it has already been downloaded by IMAP. Therefore you will never see that email in your inbox on your mobile.

If you used IMAP on both devices you would be able to see all your emails, sent and received on both devices. Currently your mobile is not picking up on any messages you send from Outlook or those sent directly from your VM webmail account on the VM website. However. it's your choice which protocol you use.

(By the way POP3 and IMAP are international standards used by all email services, they are not specific to Virgin Media.)

"'Synchronizing subscribed folders for removed reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders "

That Microsoft error code often indicates a password issue so although this may sound odd the first thing to try is to reset your VM email password.

It may be that your VM password held by the VM servers has got out of step and a password reset should synchronise your password across all the VM servers. There could be other reasons for that error but a password reset won't hurt,

You can reset  the password for your email account by signing into the "My Virgin Media" Account using your email address and password via this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  Then click on "Update settings" -  then "Account details" and you will see the option to edit your password.

Alternatively, if you are having problems with the My Virgin Media Account route you can try resetting the password by entering the affected email address here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password  and then following the prompts.

Once you have reset the password you will have to update the password held in the email settings on your phone and in Outlook manually. They will not be updated automatically.

Coenoby

@annebirgitta25 wrote:

looks like pop settngs on my mobile phone but IMAP on the desktop. Does this affect functions?

It may.

Have a look here to see the main differences between POP3 and IMAP access, and why POP3 - even in this day and age - may be a better option:-
https://www.pcworld.com/article/436002/two-good-reasons-to-stick-with-pop3-email-over-imap.html

It's also worth keeping in mind that there have been several posts recently where, apparently without user intervention, the contents of the Inbox and Sent Items folders have been deleted from the VM servers. In such an event those messages are unrecoverable as VM does not backup users mailboxes.

Using POP3 requires a certain amount of email management, regularly deleting read/answered/unwanted emails from a smartphone to free up storage space for example.

As VM's implementation of the POP3 protocol is non standard - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/td-p/2994032 - you'll also have to log in to Webmail to delete downloaded messages from the server.

It's best not to mix IMAP and POP3 protocols on different devices for access to a single account, pick one and use it across all of them.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thank you. I do find it all so confusing. You have provided a clear response!

imap or pop3

I now use imap for convenience,so any device can read my email.

I used to use pop3 on virgin but not easy to use both systems at once  or more than one computer on pop3.

Also if a computer crashes it could loose the stored pop3 emails, so I consider the server a better storage and more secure.

I have never lost any imap files, but if that is a concern, a backup of email can be made using an autoforward to another email, I am doing that.

I used to use windows live mail on pop3 years ago  but it was discontinued, and then a computer crash lost all my emails stored for years, I did have a backup file but I may have lost that also and now windows live  mail is discontinued.

So if you use pop3 it is wise to leave acopy on the server anyway, similar to imap.

No email is private unless an ecrypted service is used such as proton mail.

I usually make a copy of my sent emails and put them in a folder. Also I move my inbox emails to folders once I have read them.

I have found imap to be reliable and used it across many emails for years.

alf28

Hi annebirgitta25, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear you'd been having issues with accessing your email address on outlook and on more than one device.  I can see our fantastic community have provided lots of helpful information and I thank them for that.  I am going to send you a private message, just so we can confirm a few things.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the screen.

Regards

Lee_R