cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer thousands of emails in virgin inbox and sent items to gmail

Lades
Tuning in

I'm leaving VM and intend to forward all VM emails and sent items to gmail, which I've not joined yet as I don't want to mess it up! 

I have 1,000+ emails each in my VM inbox and sent items folders.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible with this many emails please? Before I create a disaster?

If so, how do I proceed? 

I can't find a way of calculating how many GB these take up and therefore how many I would need in gmail. 

Ideally I'd like to create a legacy blueyonder gmail address and a second gmail one starting from scratch.

Many thanks!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

You will need to use outlook to export the emails and then you can import them into gmail, I am afraid that you cannot create a legacy gmail blueyonder email address as the domain belongs to virginmedia and the email system no longer uses gmail, and even with Virginmedia there is no longer an option to create a blueyonder email address.

Have a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/... to help you backup.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lades wrote:

I can't find a way of calculating how many GB these take up and therefore how many I would need in gmail. 

Sign into webmail on a large screen device or request the desktop UI from a mobile device to see storage status, as highlighted below :
2021-06-15.jpeg
If Folder View is not enabled select (located bottom left).

IMAP email client may allow you to view similar information, for example in Thunderbird by right clicking on any mailbox's sub-folder and selecting Properties > Quota

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello @Lades 

Your welcome, regarding email providers I pretty much have used a lot of the free ones around gmx, gmail, yahoo, hotmail / outlook due to GDPR / DPA any information that is stored in your email account cannot be used by the companies as it would breech the law.

What you really need to look at is how much email storage they give you, how secure the system is. GMX give your 65Gb, Gmail gives you 15Gb, Yahoo gives you 1Tb, Outlook/Hotmail gives you 15Gb, Proton Mail free gives you 0.5gb (This is one I have just started to use and is very secure, one issue the free version only gives you webmail access, there are paid options as well).

The performance will be affected by the size of the PST file if it is quite large it could slow down the email client.

Regards Mike

7 REPLIES 7

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

You will need to use outlook to export the emails and then you can import them into gmail, I am afraid that you cannot create a legacy gmail blueyonder email address as the domain belongs to virginmedia and the email system no longer uses gmail, and even with Virginmedia there is no longer an option to create a blueyonder email address.

Have a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/... to help you backup.

Regards Mike

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lades wrote:

Sign into webmail on a large screen device or request the desktop UI from a mobile device to see storage status, as highlighted below :
2021-06-15.jpeg
If Folder View is not enabled select (located bottom left).

IMAP email client may allow you to view similar information, for example in Thunderbird by right clicking on any mailbox's sub-folder and selecting Properties > Quota

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Mike, this is inspired!

I didn't really make myself clear re: legacy emails. What I meant was I want to get all folders currently in a blueyonder mailbox to another new one. I am assuming gmail is the best/safest rather than hotmail/outlook? I'm not sure I like gmail knowing everything about me.

Your knowledge on the provider issue would be welcomed. 

I'm hoping that once I export all the emails from blueyonder from my Windows Outlook Office 2019 client that it will make its .pst file much lighter and performance faster?

Many thanks once again! 

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello @Lades 

Your welcome, regarding email providers I pretty much have used a lot of the free ones around gmx, gmail, yahoo, hotmail / outlook due to GDPR / DPA any information that is stored in your email account cannot be used by the companies as it would breech the law.

What you really need to look at is how much email storage they give you, how secure the system is. GMX give your 65Gb, Gmail gives you 15Gb, Yahoo gives you 1Tb, Outlook/Hotmail gives you 15Gb, Proton Mail free gives you 0.5gb (This is one I have just started to use and is very secure, one issue the free version only gives you webmail access, there are paid options as well).

The performance will be affected by the size of the PST file if it is quite large it could slow down the email client.

Regards Mike

Hi @Lades,

Welcome back to our community forums. 

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your query of transferring emails. Was the great advice given by @DJ_Shadow1966 useful? Do you need any further help?

Many thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks again Mike.
Yahoo it is then! 
i’m going to dump all my blueyonder emails onto an external HDD as suggested in your original link, then start afresh with a much lighter .pst on my Outlook client.

V much appreciate your help!

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello @Lades 

Your welcome, if you have any more queries by all means come on back to the forum we do have a great team of VM staff members, VIPs and normal customers with a great deal of knowledge. Stay safe and have a great weekend.

Regards Mike