cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thunderbird email problem

pursebearer
Joining in

My first post,

I set up my email as pop3 with Thunderbird weeks ago and it was working until yesterday when trying to collect mail I get "Sending of password for user [removed] did not succeed (not my real address). Mail server pop3.virginmedia.com responded: Authentication failed".

I've not intentionally changed anything so what could be wrong? The latest in my inbox is dated July 4th at 19:44, don't know if that's UK or local (+7hrs) time.

When I try webmail I get "Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour" but 24 hours later it's the same. Any help appreciated.

A related question: I posted this message yesterday but I can't find it anywhere today, where did it go?

John

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

14 REPLIES 14

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi John

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you've had some issues with your email account.

Are you able to confirm that you have an active broadband account with us? 

If so, can you confirm if you've been able to try a password reset of the mail account?

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the response,

Yes we have an account, number [removed]. It was set up by my daughter Kate McSparron in the UK earlier this year. I though am in the Philippines, 'trapped' here by Covid restrictions (is that relevant to the problem). I set up my own email [removed] and it's been fine for weeks but suddenly started giving that error message when trying to retrieve mail, sending seems to work.

I don't know what you mean by a password reset, does that mean simply changing it?

Regards

John

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @pursebearer 

That would be correct, the next steps would be to reset the password to the email address. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi again,

Thank you, email now working again. I was right I hadn't changed the password but somehow I'd changed the username for pop3 mailbox.

Regards, John

Great to hear all sorted pursebearer

Do pop back if you need further help

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi, I spoke too soon,

I now cannot send emails, the message is the same but for the smtp server

"Login to server smtp.virginmedia.com with username j.*********@virginmedia.com failed".

In thunderbird, both pop3 and smtp username/passwords are configured separately and I've checked they are both the same.

For Virgin there is only one password to change but can I somehow have configured smtp and pop3 differently?

Thanks for coming back to us pursebearer and I'm sorry to hear the E-Mail issues have reemerged.

Can you please attempt removing the E-Mail account from the Thunderbird app and then reinstating it to see if this allows you to access the E-Mail account?

I would also be interested to know, in the period of time where you had access to the E-Mail account, were you able to access the web mail services? Can you access them today?

You are also welcome to click this handy link for further assistance

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In both cases the username should be your full email address.

However can you try running the following command:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | findstr "235 VM"

Replace username and password with the appropriate values

Just post the output, NOT the original command.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded