cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thunderbird connection problem

mikes2400
Fibre optic

For the past few days every time I try to use Thunderbird (my client for virgin/blueyonder email) I get this message:-

"server imap.virginmedia.com has disconnected. The server may have gone down or they may have a network problem".

My server settings are correct (and unchanged) and my only device is my PC. There doesn't seem to be any Virgin network problems, so why am I suddenly getting this message?

65 REPLIES 65

Hi hooopla

Thanks for posting. Please do make your own thread and we can assist further in sorting this out 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@John_GS 

It's probably better to get CURL information from the user in this instance.

@hooopla Can you open a CMD window in Windows 10 (Not Powershell) or a Terminal window if using MacOS

Type in the following command

curl -v imaps://imap.virginmedia.com/ -u emailaddress:password

Copy and paste the output into a text editor and remove all instances of your email address and password using the find tool, then copy the edited output into a reply in this thread.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mazawatea
Joining in

I am having the same problem, but it appears to be on the  "i-map" server. my email account on "pop-3" with a different email address works fine!!

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

@mazawatea

It is only the VM IMAP server that is at issue. That is what six pages of this thread are exclusively about If you want to contribute to resolving the issue follow the instructions in message 53 above and post the results here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I have tried the command prompt suggestion and get the usual gobbledy **bleep** back!

The reply   "Expected a proper numerical parameter .... try 'curl  ..help'   for more info.

Translate please

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
You need to be using windows 10 for this and a command prompt, not powershell. Of in MacOS using a terminal window. If you get that response you haven't entered the string properly. Everyone else who's tried it get the results we expect.

I am using windows 10 and I still need a translation!

Just carefully type in the command exactly as shown, including the spaces, but put your own email address instead of "emailaddress" and your own password instead of "password"

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To get a command window up - just type CMD into the search bar and press enter.

Tim

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience whilst we are looking into this IMAP issue. A ticket has been raised under F008999790 and we hope to get it resolved as fast as we can.

Thanks,

Lisa