Menu
Reply
  • 4
  • 0
  • 1
jonnic
Tuning in
365 Views
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

spam mail

I have an ntlworld email account and use Mac Mail. For the past couple of months I am getting bombarded with spam email. I going into virgin media mail and blacklisting the spam messages but on many occasions when I try to blacklist a spam maiI I get a message saying something like 'This sender has already been blacklisted' If that's the case can anyone advise why are these messages are still getting through to my inbox? I have also ticked the box 'Reject all Spam' in settings in Virgin Media web mail.

 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 3
  • 0
  • 1
adrianhh
Tuning in
346 Views
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: spam mail

I think it is because you are using a mail client and not directly VM webmail. I had this issue using outlook.com, and changed to webmail and the problem massively reduced.

HTH

Adrian HH

  • 4
  • 0
  • 1
jonnic
Tuning in
343 Views
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: spam mail

Thanks Adrian

I have been using Virgin Webmail and my client email, Mac Mail mirrors Virgin Webmail. I get exactly the same spam messages in both.

Regards

John

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 931
  • 112
  • 624
coenoby
Well-informed
332 Views
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: spam mail


@jonnic wrote:

 For the past couple of months I am getting bombarded with spam email. I going into virgin media mail and blacklisting the spam messages but on many occasions when I try to blacklist a spam maiI I get a message saying something like 'This sender has already been blacklisted' If that's the case can anyone advise why are these messages are still getting through to my inbox? I have also ticked the box 'Reject all Spam' in settings in Virgin Media web mail.


Unfortunately you are definitely not alone. This long thread which began back in January tells its own story.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-Email-sysprem-com/td-p/3924528

The tidal waves of spam originally appeared to come from 'Sysprem.com' hence the name in the title of the thread. However the spammers have moved on and the same spam now comes from a variety of different senders.

Virgin Media and Cloudmark, their security partner who provides their spam filter, have been working on this from the beginning but as you have seen, the spammers are still winning the battle.

By the way:

1) it makes no difference whether you are managing your emails via an email client or app or whether you are accessing VM Webmail directly. If VM do not flag the messages as spam they will still appear in your inbox in both Webmail and your email client.

2) My advice would be not to use the 'Reject all Spam' setting in Webmail. Using that setting means that any 'genuine' emails that VM incorrectly flags as spam will disappear without trace and you will never know. The old fashioned phrase 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater' comes to mind Smiley Indifferent.

Coenoby

*******************************
I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
  • 4
  • 0
  • 1
jonnic
Tuning in
315 Views
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: spam mail

Thanks Coenoby

At least I know I'm not alone!! Very frustrating and I'm getting to the point where I feel I might have to dump my ntlworld email address and use Gmail.

Jonnic

Highlighted
  • 931
  • 112
  • 624
coenoby
Well-informed
300 Views
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: spam mail


@jonnic wrote:

Thanks Coenoby

At least I know I'm not alone!! Very frustrating and I'm getting to the point where I feel I might have to dump my ntlworld email address and use Gmail.


You took the words right out of my mouth. I use Gmail and in my experience its spam filter is as near perfect as you can get. I also like the fact that you can easily find out why Gmail has flagged an email as spam.

Along with its great security features, 2 factor authentication for instance, it makes perfect sense to move to over to it.

Coenoby

*******************************
I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
  • 3.27K
  • 351
  • 1.11K
Superuser
Superuser
287 Views
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: spam mail


@jonnic wrote:

I have an ntlworld email account and use Mac Mail. For the past couple of months I am getting bombarded with spam email. I going into virgin media mail and blacklisting the spam messages but on many occasions when I try to blacklist a spam maiI I get a message saying something like 'This sender has already been blacklisted' If that's the case can anyone advise why are these messages are still getting through to my inbox? …


Can you create a filter rule similar to the following and position it as the first rule; this will help determine whether filter rules have run against an email.
2019-02-11.jpeg
When next a blacklisted sender's email appears in your inbox check to see if its flag is set to a grey colour and post back here to have the issue raised to the forum team as a bug.

  • 4
  • 0
  • 1
jonnic
Tuning in
265 Views
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: spam mail

Thank you for your advice. I hope I have set the rule OK and will monitor it closely.

Jonnic

0 Kudos
Reply