Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

spam email

I have an old ntlworld email address attached to my account and just wondered if anyone else gets unsolicited spam emails which I have had for 3 years and here are the typical sender address-

headlines@tribelive .com and variations of this- nopainanymore@tribhkzh.com, dgrensky@tribwxjye.com, ndasvetqi@tribelive.com (all general advets but a lot of C.B.D oil etc,health products.) these all come with comcast address equating to my own email name.

return@asturiex.com, jdhawkins@4divisiongym.com, theuniverse@tut.com and variations of this)

ME  info@kurysromer.com (blackmail $700 have your passwords sex video claim)-one of many always different sender email. (via sendgrid and amazonaws)

invest@realestateintomail.co.uk

tv licencing- descalante@skalant.com, info@hands-on-uk.com ( plus many other fakes including dvla,virgin ,banks,payapl, you have been approved money,hmrc.)

notes:

I can set filters to block and discard but they seem aware of this and change sender address slightly to get past filters.

the ntlworld email address is on many hacking list where breaches have occurred such as linked in 2016 when the spam started, I get thousands per year of unknown emails from unknown persons.

the same emails repeat over and over sometimes several times a day at intervals of a few hours or days.

older emails-

contact@gearmedia.com, clialiedge.com, plant.lengthwedding.com,

sonic.questioningmistake.com, sysprem.com, lisafletcher@benchmark.com,hollywoodbowl.co.uk

spoofing:

one email claims to be from gmail yet has my ntlworld name, and has been sending for a year with strange adverts like ED erectile disfunction and seems to come sometimes from Netherlands ziggo  via Italy , I get about one or two per month only but also get rich quick schemes, the email comes from my own name and the email is valid but not owned by myself)

security;

I ignore all these spam emails and do not click on them ever, but they continually change so not sure if it the work of multiple spammers or a single spammer., but the email is still connected to some genuine accounts so I still read the emails.

I have opened new email address and am phasing out the old ntlwordl email so as not to use it , but it is a primary email attached to my account.

comments welcome.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

tribelive

I have an old ntlworld email address attached to my account and just wondered if anyone else gets unsolicited spam emails which I have had for 3 years and here is the latest sender address-

headlines@tribelive .com and variations of this- nopainanymore@tribhkzh.com, dgrensky@tribwxjye.com, ndasvetqi@tribelive.com (all general advets but a lot of C.B.D oil etc,health products.) these all come with comcast address equating to my own email name so in the collected address it is not tiblive but a random numbers/letters @concast.net as my own name as if each time an account  in comcast in my own name is sending the email but this can only be seen if email source is viewed (headers) yet the email from also reads headlines @tribelive .com or similar variation.

I see other members of community  are also getting these, but difficult to stop as the sender address changes in comcast every time (hundreds of comcast addresses collected all different each time), very clever spam.Perhaps virgin should be made aware and investigate the true source.In my opinion this spammer has been sending for years but keeps changing to avoid detection, the latest one I am getting is also odd- the universe@tut.com or variations but subjects and content similar to headlines@tribelive.com

I see from previous answers it is almost impossible to stop, however it is specific to my old ntlworld address, my other virginmedia.com secondary address get no spam at all, indicating that it is connected to the old ntlworld.com address only, perhaps it is on a different server, the servers are usually in the Netherlands.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: tribelive

I have merged your two threads on the same subject. Stick to one thread per subject please to avoid confusing us all.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ALF28,

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of the email issues. 

Relating solving this, is the email in question your primary account?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is original primary email but can not be deleted,although virgin allowed me to change my user name login to a Microsoft login email so the primary is no longer used but when I log in the old email still attached and can not be deleted or changed, but if not used for 160 days can be deactivated.

The triblive still come but also one tut.com and therdancer.com are also coming also realestateintomail.com.

Every email has a modified sender address to avoid filters,some are tagged spam but some do not.

The spammers often use bulk mail services,some arrive via comcast.net, once linked to ntl I think in the early days.

IT is the same spammer for several years now keeps changing name such as asturiex.com or clialiedge.com.

I no longer use the primary and foreward emails to another virgin address.

Also somebody was opening gmail account in my name using it to send similar spam.

The spam arrives at different times even during the night often the same advert repeated over many times bu slight change to wording.,

So I wondered if it is robot sending . The email in question is not the one I use for the community site as it is not used for log in but can still be accesses via other email clients even though it is not my login the login password will still open this old primary email in a email client but can not log into virgin with it.

, so is a security risk, a 10 digit password is poor,the community allows 20 digit passwords, and no use of special characters.

When a person is having trouble with an email it is very inconsiderate that virgin can do nothing or not investigate the spammers. I tried going through resolver but even that could not remove or change email without closure of my account.I have other emails but this is the only one with spam,for security reasons I now just ignore but have put a holiday notice asking for removal but does not work

I monitor this old primary email but never click on the email spam. The primary email is old ntlworld on many hacking lists.

I understand virgin can not monitor private email, but I also get regular blackmail emails wanting bitcoin payments for false claims they have hacked video. 

In some cases I get email from my own old contacts but they appear to be fake, so the spammer has my old email contacts.

All contacts now moved to new email address but still get the odd genuine email to deal with.I have resolved the issue but took 3 years to move all my email contacts, a long job.I do not require any further action as I have solved it in my own way but hope the feedback is useful to the community.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just wondered why virgin does not have two step verification on emails similar to gmail,  yahoo, outlook etc.

I now use alternative emails that provide enhanced security, virgin could adopt two step which provides better security from hackers.

MY wife once lost her password to virgin and a technician  from the shop  (not virgin) installing a computer found her password in seconds, amazing using a facility on the Web back in 2014.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ALF28 wrote:

Just wondered why virgin does not have two step verification on emails similar to gmail,  yahoo, outlook etc.

MY wife once lost her password to virgin and a technician  from the shop  (not virgin) installing a computer found her password in seconds, amazing using a facility on the Web back in 2014.

The forum team are best placed to answer the first question but the latter is not a surprise as it is likely she allowed her authentication credential to be saved by the web browser and/or email client and their security tended to rely on the security of the account to secure data.

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

CLOSED

0 Kudos