cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smtp.virginmedia.com Port 465 failure

tw44
On our wavelength

Getting error 241 csmtp6.tb.ukmail.iss when sending email from Windows 10 based outlook mail client to smtp.virginmedia.com port 465.

Emails also not being sent from android mail client when connected via wifi network, Interestingly they are sent if I switch of WiFi and goes via data network.

I guess the smtp server is playing up!

I've tried changing my email password that that does not change anything.

Regards,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation; do not recognise 241 error code. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\\|VM")) 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation; do not recognise 241 error code. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\\|VM")) 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

tw44
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply. As I don't have grep on my PC, I just ran the curl and I think the interesting bit from the response is:

421 csmtp2.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp Virgin Media has blocked your connecting IP 81.104.173.104 Too many bad emails have been sent. Visit https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport Section: Email Sending Errors to request delisting

I visited https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport, but that just seems to be about reporting abuse.

What do I do next?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Go to https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/ and:

• select an abuse type of Email Sending Errors from drop down list
  • select an abuse form of Other from drop down list
  • paste the complete error message into the Log Evidence area
  • enter your name into My name field
  • enter your email address into Email address field
  • select Submit button

Hopefully de-listing will occur sooner rather than later but if not post back here to have the issue flagged to the forum team.

Also consider following the advice here My Virgin Media account has been hacked.

tw44
On our wavelength

Thanks, Have completed that form...

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @tw44

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

The team should have this resolved as soon as possible, please do keep us updated with how you get on.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

tw44
On our wavelength

I still have the same problem. It has not been fixed yet.

tw44
On our wavelength

Hi, it's been unblocked now. Thanks for the advice.

Tom

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Great to hear this is now resolved @tw44

Have a great day!

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs