cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smtp error after unlocking account

GP45
Joining in

About a day ago, I received a message on my primary email account from VM to say that "You have received this email as one or more of your Virgin Media mailboxes has recently been locked due to suspiciious activity being detected".

After investigating, this relates to a secondary email mailbox that I set up. The primary mailbox was not affected.

I changed the password as instructed and did a virus scan (which was okay). Since then, the mailbox will only send an email when it is composed in webmail.

Despite changing the password in Outlook (on a desktop computer) and on an iphone, I can see messages but cannot send. It will almost always produce an error when hitting the send button. I say 'almost always' because on a rare occasion it did work in Outlook.

I put Outlook logging on and I think I captured an error:

SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)

and a success:

SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user

I don't really understand what that means though and what I should do to resolve.

Trying to follow some previous posts on here, I did go on to Spamhaus and checked the IP address for my desktop and only matched PBL (which I believe is okay). I don't think there is a blacklist of the IP address anyway since I can send fine from the primary mailbox on the same Outlook desktop.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next?

Many thanks

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

AFAIK the error code VM320 occurs when too many successful authentication events have occurred within an hours, i.e. SMTP server is no longer attempting to validate presented authentication credentials and simply blocking access. Make sure no further attempts to authenticate with the SMTP server occur for an hours, then confirm your are able to send. To resolve the issue you will need to determine why so many authenticated SMTP sessions are initiated over an hour's period to trigger the VM320 warning by reviewing where those authentication credentials are being used. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi GP45, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having some issues since we locked the email due to suspicious activity. 

Has the advice from 用心棒 worked or are you still having trouble? 

Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi.

Yes the issue is resolved. I couldn't track down the exact reason but if it helps others, the various actions I took were:

- adding VPN software onto the phone

- clearing out unnessary apps from an Amazon Fire stick (since I've heard they can be source for malware)

- deleting the mail account on both the phone and desktop and adding back again.

Thanks

Hi GP45,

Thanks so much for the update, I'm pleased to hear that this issue has now been resolved for you. If you do have any further trouble or need anything else, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards

Beth