cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smtp.blueyonder.co.uk cannot send email

zedi66
Joining in

Hi I am unable to send email from my smtp.blueyonder.co.uk email account I only noticed this today is there a known problem which will be resolved. I am able to receive email I just cant send.

16 REPLIES 16

Hi I have just started to have the same issue again where I am un able to send emails I have run the above  (curl command) which came back with the following 

525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
curl: (67) Login denied

I have also checked on https://check.spamhaus.org/listed/ and my IP is listed there and the only way to get it removed is by my ISP. Is this something you could do

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Follow the advice here The Spamhaus Project - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) to try and resolve the issue

I have tried all of that then it says I need to get my ISP to remove my IP from there blocklist so is this something as my ISP that you can do

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which Spamhaus list is your IP Address on: SSBL, CSS, XBL, and / or PBL?

The machine using this IP is infected with malware that is emitting spam or is sharing a connection with an infected device.

As a result, this IP address is listed in the eXploits Blocklist (XBL)

Click on Show Details to see if you can request a delisting from this blocklist. This will also display any further information we have relating to this listing.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi zedi66,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced with the email, can I ask firstly have you tried multiple devices for this?

Also so we can investigate further I've dropped you a PM.

The message will appear within the purple envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

If Spamhaus has listed your address on the XBL then, as the explanation from them suggests, you have a device on your home network somewhere which has become infected with malware and is sending out spam messages. This has been picked up, reported to Spamhaus who have included your address on one of their lists.

Note that Spamhaus themselves don’t do any blocking, they are a bit like a credit reference agency, in this case before allowing you to send emails via their system, VM ask Spamhaus to ‘report’ on any known ‘issues’ with your address. Spamhaus reply that they have had reports and based on that it is VM who deny you the ability to send email - the VM305 error message you got earlier is very specific.

Now as this is block on your home network’s address it will apply to every and all devices connected, not sure why you were asked above if you had tried multiple devices, because it’s irrelevant, yes, every device will be prevented from sending while they are using your home network.

So, what can be done about it? Well firstly VM can do nothing, they have no ability to influence Spamhaus’ listings, if you have a device sending out spam, then you absolutely will be listed and even if VM were to try to intervene (they won’t), Spamhaus will ignore them. You, yourself can request that your address be delisted, which Spamhaus will do based on you saying that you have found and eliminated the root cause of the spam. If this isn’t done, then as soon as your address is reported as sending spam again, back on the list you go, and next time Spamhaus may well be more reluctant to delist you. 

Short of coming to your house and setting up equipment to analyse all the traffic on your home network, there is no means of telling what device it could be. The onus, alas, is on you to find it and eliminate it, a good start is to think about and list all the devices you have, have any updated recently, any new devices been added, did you have a visitor recently who may have brought an infected device with them and connected it to your home wifi? Have you installed any new software on any device recently?

Unfortunately it is a laborious process, Spamhaus themselves suggest that you disconnect every single device from the network, wait a couple of days until you automatically get delisted as no further spam will be detected as coming from your address, then add devices back a few at a time, waiting a couple of days, and see if you get listed again.