Menu
johnkahnvforum
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

reverse problem - how to stop VM from filtering my spam

Some expected emails failed to reach my inbox (my email program is Thunderbird). Finally, I discovered where the emails were - stuck in the Spam folder of my Virgin webmail! I don't need Virgin to pre-filter my spam - Thunderbird does the filtering later anyway. So I adjusted the Spam setting in Virgin webmail, so the instruction is no longer "Move message to Spam Folder", but is now "Turn of all SPAM setting". See the screen shot.

johnkahnvforum_0-1619968754924.png

However, that hasn't solved the problem. Virgin is still assigning some emails to its own Spam folder, and preventing them from reaching Thunderbird. How can I get Virgin's spam filter to butt out?!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: reverse problem - how to stop VM from filtering my spam

If you view the source text of those emails still going to your Spam folder do you see any headers beginning with X-SPAM?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
johnkahnvforum
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi VIP.
No, there are no headers beginning with X-SPAM.
Some of the emails even come from my wife - they contain an attachment that is the standard receipt from a big supermarket (not a suspicious sender or a suspicious message).

Do you think it would help if I tried changing the SPAM setting again. The four options are:
1. Reject all SPAM messages
2. Move message to Spam folder
3. Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox
4.Turn off all SPAM filtering.

I think the original setting was 2. I changed it to 4 a few weeks ago, but the problem continued. Should I try 3 perhaps?

Thanks for your help.

Woody

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Consider leaving the settings as they are and instead add the following filter rule:

2021-05-02.jpeg
When reviewing the Spam folder's content in webmail any message with its:

• flag set to red was delivered to the Inbox folder and then moved to the Spam folder by client side filtering
  • flag not set was delivered to the Spam folder by server side filtering

FYI: user created filter rules, like that above, only run against messages delivered to the Inbox folder.

BTW is Thunderbird set to use IMAP or POP for incoming emails?

coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@johnkahnvforum wrote:

I think the original setting was 2. I changed it to 4 a few weeks ago, but the problem continued. Should I try 3 perhaps?

I don't think  changing those settings will help.

One thing I would check is whether you have any email addresses in your Webmail Blacklist.

I have just tested this with my Ntlworld account:

1. Spam settings "Turn off all SPAM filtering."
  2. Blacklisted one of my own non VM email addresses
  3. Sent a test message from that non VM address to my Ntlworld address

And as I expected the test message arrived in  my VM spam folder.

So it is definitely worth checking whether any addresses have inadvertently been blacklisted in your webmail account because that would result in the effect you are seeing.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I was wondering if DMARC could be responsible.  It would help if we knew some of the domains that were ending up in Spam.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

johnkahnvforum
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to Tim, Coenoby, and all VM communitarians. Very good of you to be so community-minded. I'm not sure what I did, but I've now tested it and it *seems* that the problem is fixed. Hooray! Next month, I'll again check to see if the VM spam filter has decided to trap anything. If you don't hear from me, assume that the troubles are over. Your help is much appreciated. Best wishes, Woody

coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@johnkahnvforum wrote:

....... it *seems* that the problem is fixed. ........

Good to hear that, thanks for letting us know.

I'm always feel a bit wary when things seem to be fixed and I don't why.  🤔

If it happens again it would be worth posting a copy of the email headers (also known as 'Source') for one of the "spam" emails here for us to take a look at.

Here is how to get to the email headers / source from your webmail account:

source.png

When the Source window opens up just copy and paste it but redact the email addresses by removing the names before the @ symbol and also redact your personal IP address before posting. Leave the email domains intact though.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer