cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Too many bad emails have been sent"

nigbing
Tuning in

Hi, I've drafted emails which are not being sent via my ntlworld.com address for some reason. The error message I'm being provided with reads as follows:

"csmtp1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp Virgin Media has blocked your connecting IP 82.2.36.137 Too many bad emails have been sent. Visit https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport Section: Email Sending Errors to request delisting"

And Error Code: -17099

I've no idea what the problem is. Can someone help please. I'm using Outlook for Mac on my desktop but it's also an issue on my iPhone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @nigbing,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that this is happening. Can you try using our webmail platform directly instead of an email client and let us know if you have any issues there, please?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @nigbing,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that this is happening. Can you try using our webmail platform directly instead of an email client and let us know if you have any issues there, please?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach,

Yes, I can send an email using webmail. The problem then, appears to be with Outlook on my Mac and the Apple iPhone email app. Are you able to help with that?

Kind regards,

Nigel

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Nigel, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Can you please try removing the accounts from both Outlook and the iPhone and then add them back on again?

Once you have done this, can you please try a test email and let us know how you get on?

Thanks 

Nat

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Natalie_L @Zach_R @nigbing 

I always hesitate to get involved in a thread once the Forum Team are on the case but I hope the following will be helpful and constructive,

This error has come up on the Forum before but I cannot find an example where the problem is reported as being solved.

However, I would suggest that the reason for the problem is pretty clear from the error message:

"csmtp1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp Virgin Media has blocked your connecting IP 82.x.xx.xxxToo many bad emails have been sent."

For some reason the outgoing VM smtp servers are blocking emails sent from @nigbing 's IP address.

I cannot see any evidence that the email accounts in Outlook or iphone are at fault.

Until the IP is delisted emails sent from any email app or client will result in the same error. 

As has already been reported by the OP, emails sent from Webmail will be unaffected.

The error message is unusually helpful in that it then goes on to offer a way to get the offending IP address delisted.

"Visit https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport Section: Email Sending Errors to request delisting"

That link takes you to the page that allows you to contact the VM Internet security team directly.

Again as per the error message, the Email Sending Errors section on that page says:

"If you are receiving errors when trying to send email, please follow the below advice:

1. Check for a virus on the device
2. Secure your email account (Change your password to something completely new and unique)
3. Fill out the above form selecting "Email Sending Errors" and paste in the exact error message that you are receiving along with all other required fields. " 

I cannot see where the "required fields" are specified but at the very least I would assume that the Security team will want to know the affected email address and the full error message which includes the blocked IP address.

Although @nigbing could do that, I suspect that a request from the Forum Team direct to the Internet Security Team might well be a more effective way of getting the IP delisted. 😉

I apologise if I'm way off track here, I'm just going by the evidence I can see.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Many thanks Coenoby,

My iCloud email account works fine which does suggest a problem with ntl specifically. I have followed the guidance and made a report as is suggested and although I've received an acknowledgement, I've yet to receive a substantive response and I still continue to have problems, as does my wife who shares the account with her own email address. Can the Forum Team take up this issue please?

Kind regards,

Nigel

Good afternoon, Nigel.

Please click this link - https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport - then click 'email sending error'

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Many thanks for your response John_GS. I have in fact made such a report a few days ago, sadly, to no avail. I have prepared another and referenced this thread. Hopefully, this time I will be given help to get my email working once again.

Many thanks,

Nigel

Hi nigbing

Thanks for coming back to me. The team would be in touch if they need anything further. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi and thanks for responding once again John_GS. It would appear that in the interim, the problem has been resolved. Thank you to you and your colleagues, and indeed all of those who contributed to this thread, for helping me. The VMC is a great resource!