cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Server Unreachable" on email

sj22
On our wavelength

Is there a problem with Virgin email this afternoon? I am getting a "server unreachable" message . Or its not loading at all. 

Another error message said 'try later' or similar. I am awaiting an important email  

Service Status check says broadband/phone/tv are fine 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you able to use webmail?

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following command:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com

Do not post the resulting output here but instead just confirm if it is successful or not. Successful output look similar to the following towards its ending:

214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info

Anything else is a failure — was failure due to not being able to check revocation status of certificate.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you able to use webmail?

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following command:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com

Do not post the resulting output here but instead just confirm if it is successful or not. Successful output look similar to the following towards its ending:

214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info

Anything else is a failure — was failure due to not being able to check revocation status of certificate.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

sj22
On our wavelength

Hi thanks for your reply, 

Today I had noticed that emails weren't being received on my Mac mail , so I tried webmail. For about 5hrs I couldn't get the webmail to load. Thankfully , Ive just had a bunch of delayed emails flooding in, out of sequence, but hopefully they are all there.

I was getting messages pop up on my webmail screen such as these: 

The connection to remote server md.tb.ukmail.iss.local timed out while awaiting the response. Please try again later.

An unknown error occurred

502 Proxy Error

A temporary failure occurred during login. Please try again later.

Server unreachable 

(Or just a blank inbox which was worrying ! )

I am sorry but I don't know how to open a Command Shell. Fingers crossed the problem has now cleared. I was surprised to see other people weren't having problems with emails when I came to the forum. Have you any idea what might have caused this? Its been running fine for a long time 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On a Mac open the Terminal application and try the command there.

sj22
On our wavelength

Hi. 

I managed to do that . There are about 30 lines of text with all sorts of stuff being mentioned ,  they end similarly to the ones you posted , the final line is different it  ends with the words "connection ....left intact" . 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Minor difference in curl output is not of concern.

I have flagged the issue to the forum team as they are best placed to help further; hopefully they respond later today during business hours. Should the issue resolve itself in the meantime do post back here with an update.

sj22
On our wavelength

Yes I did mention above that the problem appears to have now resolved itself late tonight. With my emails from today now all flooding in , Including 2 test emails I sent to myself this afternoon. The problem lasted about 5hrs and now seems to have rectified itself. 

I was curious to know the cause.

Thank you so much for your replies this evening .  I will mark as solved.