Menu
hadinuf13
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

"SPAM Content Found (VM603)" when using Thunderbird, but not Outlook

For the last few weeks I’ve been having problems sending emails from my ntlworld.com address (in case you don’t know, VM bought NTL in 2006 or so) to certain domains.  The problems vary depending on which client email I use.  (I have no problems sending emails via VM webmail but this is not my preference, as I wish to keep my email correspondence on my computer.)  Here are some of the facts as I have been able to determine:

When sending mail to Google gmail.com addresses, using Mozilla Thunderbird or MS Outlook, my emails are accepted by VM.  This is not the case for some other (but not all) domains for which Google manages DNS and/or mail.

Emails to gmx.com are not accepted when using Thunderbird, resulting in a  “5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603)” error, but are accepted when using Outlook and are delivered correctly.

Emails sent to the same virginmedia.net address when using Thunderbird are sometimes rejected with a ‘5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603)’ message, but sometimes they are accepted (eg 11:27 am, 27 July 2019) but, if they are accepted by VM, they go into the recipient’s spam folder.

Further, and more confusingly, email sent to the same virginmedia.net as above, using Outlook appears thus far to be always accepted but is delivered to the recipient’s spam folder, so there appears to be some similarity between how VM classifies email for spam content on injection and delivery.

I have carried out tests today using the logging features in both Thunderbird and Outlook and got the following two errors today (2019-07-30)

552 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) sTcEhJjjczEJ2sTcEhjysD
552 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) sTWlhJiTXzEJ2sTXGhjyWa

A search of these forums shows that very similar problems are being experienced by other Virgin Media customers (do a search for the term “VM603” – link provided here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?location=forum-board:email&q=VM60... )

These problems have made my use of the VM email service from a desk-top almost impossible and any help or advice would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
hadinuf13
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: "SPAM Content Found (VM603)" when using Thunderbird, but not Outlook

This is an update to my post on 30 July.

I have found that the problem occurs when a URL - long or short - is included in the email.  None of these URLs has been for dubious websites but, for example, to BBC News items, main UK newspaper sites, Wildlife Trusts, estate agents, Google photos, etc.  The only domain that will accept emails with URLs  sent by any mode (Virgin Media webmail, Thunderbird or Outlook) is me.com.  To send to other domains I have to use Virgin Media webmail.

In my many years with Virgin Media, and before that, with ntlworld, this problem has never occurred before.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You will need to wait for a forum team member to liaise with the spam filter provider (Cloudmark) to determine the cause of the two unique reference provided in your initial email however be aware it can take them a few hours / days to work through to your post.

Are you able to provide an example URL that fails with a Spam Content Found warning to all but the me. com domain?

0 Kudos
hadinuf13
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello 'Superuser'

Thanks for your reply. 

Tests yesterday night produced mixed results, with the same URL sometimes causing a SPAM message and sometimes being no problem.  At that time I’d begun to think it was links to ‘insecure’ sites –  URLs beginning http:// (rather than https:// )  that were the culprits, eg those for local community websites hosted by Weebly (URLs ending ‘.weebly.com’) or those having their own domains (URLs ending ‘.org.uk’).

However, I’ve done tests using Thunderbird just now and there’s no problem with any URL being included in emails I send to my own ntlworld address or to a gmail address, so it looks as though VM have made changes to the spam filter settings.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good to read that the issue resolved itself.

0 Kudos