cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with two different ntlword email addresses coming through on email adress in Outlook

coastalrc
On our wavelength

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my emails in outlook.

I use Outlook on a number of devices and pick up all emails through it.

I have a number of email addresses all with Virgin and am now having a problem with two addresses ending in @ntlworld.com. 

Emails from both addresses are only showing on the inbox for the main account address.

I am now trying to set emails up on a tablet with one of the addresses so only emails to that address will show but nothing comes through foor that email address.

I have outlook on my laptop and the same thing happens all the addresses have been sent up as accounts on account and linked to Outlook, but nothing comes through into the inbox for that email it comes into the main inbox. All the other email addresses come into the correct inbox for their email.

I can send from the said email with no problem.

I have checked the settings as best I can and they seem to be exactly the same for all the emails.

If I look at the emails for the accounts through the virgin website they all show under the correct address except this address I have a problem with.

I don't want to delete the address as I will loose that name@ntlworld.com ad all the hassle in changing it on all the contacts and websites it is used on.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coastalrc wrote:
Emails from both addresses are only showing on the inbox for the main account address.

The first thing I would check is whether an auto-forward has been set in the VM webmail account (or accounts) which are not receiving emails. If an auto forward has been set to forward all incoming emails to your main account that would explain what you are seeing.

Use this link  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/    to sign into the email account or accounts which are not receiving emails .  Then follow steps 1 to 4 below to check whether your main address appears in the auto forward address box.

auto forward.pngIf there is no auto forward set, then at  least we have ruled out one obvious possibility. 😉

However, while you are in the settings menu also click on "Filter Rules" (just below "Auto Forward" in the list) and check there are no filter rules set up either.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi coastalrc thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with receiving emails via outlook.  Have you ensured your settings match the setting as per here?

Regards

Lee_R

coastalrc
On our wavelength

Hi Lee,

Tried that my seetings are the same and hasn't made any difference.

Settings on all accounts are the same

Incoming mail

Email address ****@ntlworld.com

Password ****

Remember password ticked

Server imap.virginmedia.com

Port 993

Encyrption method SSL/TLS

require logon using password Authentication un ticked

Outgoing mail

Server smtp.virginmedia.com

Port 465

Encryption method  SSL/TLS

my outgoing (STMP) server requires authentication  ticked

Use same settings as my incoming msil server

I have 2 accounts on @ntlworld.com including the main account with VM.

It is the 2nd email @ntlworld.com that only appears in the main account inbox.

I can send from the email address with no problem.

All other email addresses are @virginmedia.com, they are set up the same as the above and incoming emails go to direct to the correct inbox

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coastalrc wrote:

The first thing I would check is whether an auto-forward has been set in the VM webmail account (or accounts) which are not receiving emails. If an auto forward has been set to forward all incoming emails to your main account that would explain what you are seeing.

Use this link  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/    to sign into the email account or accounts which are not receiving emails .  Then follow steps 1 to 4 below to check whether your main address appears in the auto forward address box.

auto forward.pngIf there is no auto forward set, then at  least we have ruled out one obvious possibility. 😉

However, while you are in the settings menu also click on "Filter Rules" (just below "Auto Forward" in the list) and check there are no filter rules set up either.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

coastalrc
On our wavelength

Hi

Thanks for suggestion.

I have noticed something very strange.

I can log into the main account on the VM webmail and it shows all the seperate accounts.

If I try to log in with email address of the account with the problem it wants me to change/update my  Profile using the said email address.

If I try logging in with any other email address it opens the webmail for that particular account only.

It appears to have linked the two ntlworld addresses together somehow.

I cannot therefore check any of the settings you suggest on that email address by itself.

Do I need to complete the profile or will that take over as the main address of the whole VM account?

The main email account does not anything in the autoforward execpt the process subsequent rules is ticked, if I untick it it is ticked again when I go back into that setting.

I have disabled all filter rules and no difference to the email still going to the main account

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coastalrc wrote:

I have noticed something very strange.

I can log into the main account on the VM webmail and it shows all the seperate accounts.

If I try to log in with email address of the account with the problem it wants me to change/update my  Profile using the said email address.

I think this needs to be checked out by one of the Forum Team. Hopefully  @Lee_R can get back to you to pick up your details by Private Message and take a look at your VM account.

In the meantime, sign in to your "My Virgin Media" account (that's the one where you can see your VM bills and package details) from here https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  and then click on "My Profile" and then "Manage Accounts". Do you see the problem email address listed there?

Coenoby

coastalrc
On our wavelength

Thanks for the quick response,

I looked at some of the email addresses and they had account profiles set up.

Took the plunge and completed the profile and I could then log in that address by itself.

You were correct it had an autoforward to the main account

I removed that and it is now working fine.

Thanks so much for your help!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coastalrc wrote:

Took the plunge and completed the profile and I could then log in that address by itself.

You were correct it had an autoforward to the main account removed that and it is now working fine.

Thanks for coming back and telling us the good news.

I must admit I thought it would require intervention by VM to get it sorted so well done for resolving it yourself 😉

Coenoby

coastalrc
On our wavelength

Thanks,

You set me on the right path in what too look for.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coastalrc 

I forgot to say but I noticed you reported "I have disabled all filter rules"  when you checked the settings. 

Did you set up those rules at some point or did you not recognise them or know why they were there? The reason I ask is hackers often set rules in the email accounts they are using to scam online accounts such as eBay or Amazon.

If you did not recognise those rules you would be well advised to follow all the advice here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked .

I am sure all is ok but I thought I had better check that with you just in case.

Coenoby