cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

password change after being hacked

isis2
Joining in

It seems that my ntlworld mail account has been hacked somehow who quoted my password and I am being asked to donate money to this person So I have been trying to change my password unsucessfully....and on reading the similar answers on here they have not looked to have been very sucessful

10 REPLIES 10

isis2
Joining in

Hi, I have also been hacked and find it strange to find out that I cannot change my password myself and have to go through the phone. I am being threatened unless I pay money into a crypto site . Why cant a password be changed by myself and reading this post it seems that even when changed it must be so easy to be hacked again......Does anyone know if this problem has been rectified yet...not good.

isis2
Joining in

Hi, I have  been hacked and find it strange to find out that I cannot change my password myself and have to go through the phone. I am being threatened unless I pay money into a crypto site . Why cant a password be changed by myself and reading another post it seems that even when changed it must be so easy to be hacked again......Does anyone know if this problem has been rectified yet...not good.

It looks like my ntlworld email has been hacked .....showing me my correct password......and is asking for money via crypto.....I have looked into changing my password but it does not seem possible can anyone help......Thanks

scrd01
On our wavelength

I highly suggest you shootover to BleepingComputers.com and check out the virus/malware section and post the appropiate logs

note 

you could check have i been pawned . com first 

Blackmail email (they are common)

The demand for money is illegal and do not respond to any demands, best to ignore such emails.

If you are a virgin media account holder then there is a password reset

see

Forgotten your Password? | Reset Here | Virgin Media

regarding the abusive email it can be reported-

see

NetReport - Virgin Media

If you can not manage to reset your password, the account may have been hacked so you need to ring virgin media or wait for a virgin forum member to respond to your post who will the deal with the problem usually via a private message, it can take up to a day or so usually.

I see your previous post from Wednesday was not answered which is unusual.

Also check any associated accounts are not compromised and do  a virus check.

If your virgin email is compromised, it may be wise to set up an alternative email such as gmail or outlook which are free.

If you do manage to reset your VM password, also at the same time update/change the security question (memorable word) in the VM account update settings. Also check no autoforwards have been setup in the email account.

alf28

Hi, Thanks for the reply , they have my password ...I find it unusual why I just cant change the password from my ntlworld mail account. which would solve my problem but it dosent seem possible. Another thing they will see everything that I do via my email ( although I have another account not virgin where my mail is also sent.      It looks as if I will have to phone virgin help but from what I have seen on here they dont really know what they are doing if that is true.

Ring 150 if you have VM landline.

Use a third party email to log into VM, this prevents you getting locked out, I use outlook.com.

Hope VM can reset your password to enable you to get access, never easy but keep trying.

Hope a forum member can respond?

When I had similar issues I had to reset my hub and do antivirus checks.

Sometimes virgin do lock the account, happens to me a lot for unknown reasons.

alf28

Thanks for coming back to us @isis2, have you been able to speak to the team over the phone about this?

Do you currently have an active Virgin Media broadband account?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Thanks , After going round in circles a little I finally seemed to have changed my password and I have not had any more threats . So hopefully I am back to normal fingers crossed.   Regards