cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outlook email ntlworld

PhilBrady
Joining in

I use outlook and have an email ntlworld,com account . It has been working fine for the last 5 years but for the last month or so, I cannot receive any emails and keep getting an error message 000x800ccc0e and told to contact my server.

12 REPLIES 12

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PhilBrady wrote:

It has been working fine for the last 5 years but for the last month or so, I cannot receive any emails and keep getting an error message 000x800ccc0e and told to contact my server.

Do you have Outlook set to use the POP3 protocol? If so take a look at the email settings in Outlook and see if you have "recent:" as a prefix to your username. For example if your email address is "yourname@ntlworld.com" the username field in Outlook may say  "recent:yourname@ntlworld.com".  If  so, simply delete the "recent:"  prefix from the username.

The "recent" prefix was a legacy from the time when VM used the Gmail based service prior to transitioning to their present in-house email service.

Up until about a month ago it seemed that VM ignored that "recent" prefix when they authenticated POP3 messages but then they seem to have stopped doing that resulting in failures like the one you are seeing.

Here is VM's advice on that https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Pop3-Authentication-Errors/td-p/4747603 which also includes a link to the their current recommended email settings.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @PhilBrady,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that you're facing some issues with your email service recently. May I ask if this issue is also happening when you access and use the email service directly via our webmail platform?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thank you for your reply. My outlook is not set up fo pop3. It's set up for IMAP and SMTP. 

Also I don't see recent in front of my user name. Outlook on my Android devices works ok, just not on my laptop.

I don't have recent in front of my user name

Hi @PhilBrady,

Thanks for clarifying your email set up. What I'm looking to ascertain is if you're experiencing the same issue with the service when you access and use it directly via our webmail platform on our website.

Can you access it and let us know, please?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thank you for your reply. How do I access my ntl.world emails on virgin webmail platform ? 

I have no dealings with virgin media apart from having this ntlworld email address.

Hi @PhilBrady,

Do you have any other Virgin Media services currently through which you acquired this email address, or is it only this email address that you have?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

No I don't have any other virgin media services. This ntlworld email is all I have.

Hi @PhilBrady,

Thank you for confirming. It sounds like your email service may have been deactivated and removed if you don't have any other services with us.

This is normally done 90 days after the disconnection of services, though sometimes if the email address is in constant use it can be missed. However, we do go through and do a clean up and, as such, any email address no longer associated with an active account are deleted and removed.

You can find more information on what happens when you cancel your services with us here, and also within our Acceptable Use Policy.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

I haven't been with Virgin media for almost 6 years and have been using the ntlworld email constantly since. I'm very surprised its taken so long to deactivate it !