Menu
SDC
Super solver
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: old email account

@Jen_A wrote:

Update = email addresses on former VM account now linked to current VM account 🙂

Did the OP have to lose all email accounts on the current VM BB account, Jen? I've been reading back through some older related posts and I've been getting the impression that in some cases linking email addresses from former accounts to current accounts is... lossless.

Just asking so that I can hone the advice that I peddle to other users.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Pretty sure that you're wrong there - but Jen is back in tomorrow so she'll no doubt answer then.

It might appear lossless in some cases - say if the person hadn't used the email service linked to the new profile (in which case they'd never know about it)

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi SDC,

Did the OP have to lose all email accounts on the current VM BB account, Jen? I've been reading back through some older related posts and I've been getting the impression that in some cases linking email addresses from former accounts to current accounts is... lossless.

Just asking so that I can hone the advice that I peddle to other users.

The way it works is this:

A VM broadband account has an associated Mail Service. That Mail service contains email addresses - anything from the system-generated, default username up to 10 email addresses in total.

If we link the Mail Service from a former account it replaces the existing Mail Service and all email addresses contained (thus all current email addresses and emails are lost, unrecoverable).

So some loss is expected, though I'll always give the customer a chance to save any important emails before commencing the transfer.

There are/have been occasions where no email (email not email address) loss has occurred and this has been due to the current, default, email address having never been used. Most of the time the customer was unaware of it (having opted for a 3rd party email address for MyVM access and also having continued using the email address from the former account - as per Tim's reply).

But, because email addresses are part of a Mail Service we are not able to take just one email address and move it over, all of them have to be transferred. Likewise we cannot add a single email address, from a former account, to the Mail Service on a current account.

Hope that makes sense 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

Highlighted
smike606
Joining in
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

hi jen i,m delighted at what you have done for so tell whoever to mind his or her own business ta mike x

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@smike606 

I hope what you have said was said more in ignorance than in an attempt to be unpleasant to @SDC .

This is a community forum the aim of which is to bring VM users together to solve issues that they have. SDC and I are amongst those users.  We aim to create a constructive and helpful environment in which to debate and discuss issues and learn from one another.

Jen_A is a VM staffer who intervenes when users can't help as in your case. SDC was making an honest enquiry of Jen _A because it appeared that previous posts had given a different impression as to what could be achieved in situations like yours. I, for one, was delighted he had raised the question and I was also delighted with Jen_A's explanation as it added to the sum total of our knowledge and confirmed our understanding as to what was possible.

I'm glad Jen_A was able to bring your issue to a successful conclusion.  I hope you will reconsider your comment.  You never know when you might need us again.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@smike606 wrote:

hi jen i,m delighted at what you have done for so tell whoever to mind his or her own business ta mike x

Hi Smike606 - I do echo what Howard's said.  SDC's question was really meant to clarify information he'd gleaned from other posts.

Some community members like SDC, Howard and myself try and post helpful advice, but to do that, we need to update our knowledge about how things work in the background.  The question wasn't so much aimed about finding information about your account, as to the general state of play so that he could give the right answers to other users in future.

If you ever need any further assistance we all stand ready to help.  In fact the community can often help solve some problems before the Forum Team get here.

Glad you're sorted for now though.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

SDC
Super solver
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@smike606 wrote:

From now on, I will mind my own business.

As that is incompatible with this Community's "join in to help each other out" ethos, I see no reason for me to stick around to help anyone else.

Goodbye.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@SDC wrote:

@smike606 wrote:

From now on, I will mind my own business.

As that is incompatible with this Community's "join in to help each other out" ethos, I see no reason for me to stick around to help anyone else.

Goodbye.

Hi SDC,

Please don't let one ignorant comment put you off from trying to help others.

You have to have a thick skin sometimes, but better that than just being thick like some.

The community needs more people like you, and fewer that make stupid comments to those who try to help. 

Keep helping and ignore the trolls.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.