cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld spam being sent address book hacked

snowpicnic
On our wavelength

URGENT. My husband's ntlworld email address book seems to have been hacked; friends and contacts are receiving spoof or spam emails with the subject line 'Essential'. A response has been made by at least one contact and they get asked for iTunes scratch cards. It is worrying! What can be done? How has it happened.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@snowpicnic

To keep things simple I have merged your "How to change the ntlworld mailbox account password" thread into your original thread.

Your reference to the issue with your husband's email suggested that you are talking about the same problem.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @snowpicnic,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

I can take a look into this for you but we would need to get you through account security, so that we can take a more in deptht look into this.

Please look out for my private message and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L

snowpicnic
On our wavelength

All I can see are the dots. I can't see what the password was or how to change it. The account has been hacked and I do need to change the password I believe. (It is my husband's account and I need to help him: he won't know how to do this).

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@snowpicnic

To keep things simple I have merged your "How to change the ntlworld mailbox account password" thread into your original thread.

Your reference to the issue with your husband's email suggested that you are talking about the same problem.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@snowpicnic.

Thanks for the kudos.

Did you get back to @Steven_L 's private message as he asked in his reply to your original post? - see message 2 in this thread.

Click on this symbol at the top of the forum page

private message.png

Coenoby

Hi there, I did get back to Steven and I've given what security info I could. It's gone quiet though.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@snowpicnic wrote:

Hi there, I did get back to Steven and I've given what security info I could. It's gone quiet though.

Thanks for coming back with that update.

Once you have access to the affected account you would be well advised to follow all the advice here to make it as secure as possible, https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked 

Do bear in mind though that there is not a lot you or Virgin Media can do to stop those emails going out if the hackers are spoofing the sending address, in other words, falsifying your husband's address, because the emails will not actually be coming from your husband's VM account.

Coenoby

Thanks for that. I will follow the link. I am understanding that the email address book was lifted and then used by the hacker (email they were using was [REMOVED] by the way). So there is no retrospective remedial actions that can be taken. My task now is to try to limit the damage by making sure his account is not so penetrable again. Your help and insight is much appreciated!

Mod edit: Email address removed

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for coming back to me @snowpicnic, please can you change the email password right away if you haven't already done so, once this is done, please let me know and I will raise this with our email security team to be investigated.

Regards,

Steven_L