Menu
Gorsewaygirl
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld email settings help

To cut a long story short my hard drive failed last week and I have had to reinstall everything. I am using Outlook 2016 on a Mac. I have 4 ntlworld.com email addresses. I want to add my email accounts to Outlook but for some reason I am getting ‘Unable to sign in check your credentials and try again’. I am using the correct email addresses and passwords because I can sign into webmail successfully.

Can anyone help at all with the correct settings I should be using or tell me what I am doing wrong??

0 Kudos
Shelke
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld email settings help

@Gorsewaygirl wrote:

To cut a long story short my hard drive failed last week and I have had to reinstall everything. I am using Outlook 2016 on a Mac. I have 4 ntlworld.com email addresses. I want to add my email accounts to Outlook but for some reason I am getting ‘Unable to sign in check your credentials and try again’. I am using the correct email addresses and passwords because I can sign into webmail successfully.

Can anyone help at all with the correct settings I should be using or tell me what I am doing wrong??

Use the settings in this post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/m-p/3369438

The settings work for all VM's email domains.

Gorsewaygirl
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Shelke - they are exactly the settings that I am using and I am getting 'Unable to sign in. Check your credentials and try again'.

Just can't work out why this would be happening?!

Shelke
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Gorsewaygirl wrote:

Thanks Shelke - they are exactly the settings that I am using and I am getting 'Unable to sign in. Check your credentials and try again'.

Just can't work out why this would be happening?!

Well besides the Internet suggested fix of making sure the mac office suite is up to date, you might need to dig into the stored email settings on the mac and purge the list of any old VM settings as Macs are notorious for storing old email settings in a convoluted way. With those stored settings removed and the email account removed, add it back and see how it goes.

There's also the possibility of 'password drift'. I.E. needing to refresh your password on the account. If you log into My VM and change the password to exactly what it is now, that will refresh it across VM's servers which might resolve it.

Gorsewaygirl
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Went back in to My Virgin Media and refreshed all the passwords to exactly the same as they were and everything has jumped into life on my Mac and emails are downloading from all over the place!

It was 'password drift' which I've never heard of. Thanks for taking the time to reply to me!