Menu
Chrisq6
Joining in
Message 21 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld email not working on Android

mpt to add account went through this time but still get notification that "message not sent" when attempting to reply to mails or to send mails....

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 22 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Can you explain what you mean by :

mpt to add account went through this time but still get notification that "message not sent" 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 23 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Did you follow my other advice?

To troubleshoot this we have to make sure that NO DEVICE ON YOUR NETWORK is trying to send an email which means YOU MUST CHECK THE OUTBOX on every device.

Sorry to shout, but you need to be clear on this.  The VM321 is a specific error code meaning that there have been too many invalid authentication attempts in the last hour.  So once we get a VM321 error - we MUST make sure that no device is attempting to send emails - THEN wait at least an hour for the 321 timeout period to expire.

I remember the last time we had someone with this happening during the small hours of the morning.  However when we had that happen, we had a forum team member with direct access to the email logs - something we no longer have - and even then it was a pain as it took ages to impress the fact that the user needed to check everything on their network.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Chrisq6
Joining in
Message 24 of 34
Flag for a moderator

all outboxes checked and all are empty....just get the notification on android phone that message not sent...no VM code associated with it

deleted other email account on android and still got email not sent notification
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 25 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@modteam - can someone please raise this to the email team and check the following:

Which IP address are the invalid SMTP authentication attempts coming from. (Not the VM321 errors though)

In other words, are they all coming from @Chrisq6 's IP or are there any others in there.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 26 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam  re-posting as @ravenstar68 mention did not seem to work.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 27 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I'm reminded of a thread from November 2018, that actually took several months to solve - partly because everyone was too focused on one device.(A PC using Outlook)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Sending-emails-is-OK-during-the-day-but-stops-at-night/td...

The error code in this case was slightly different (VM320 - Authentication attempts per hour) - Where the SMTP logs turned out to show that a device on that posters network was authenticating correctly but not sending emails.  This was eventually tracked to a CCTV system on their network.  Once the VM320 lockout had been triggered, no other device would have been able to send until the end of the lockout period.  So the user could not use Outlook during this time..

So let's stop focusing on the fact that your problem is with the android device.  Take a step back and ask yourself.

What devices do I have up that might be sending emails?  Consider any and all devices on your network!

All email programs work the same way.  Currently you can get round the problem by sending using webmail, however I accept that this might not be ideal, especially on a mobile phone screen :~

All other email clients you set up will fail with the same error until we get to the bottom of where the invalid authentication attempts are coming from.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 28 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@Chrisq6 how are things going now.  Are you still experiencing the same difficulties?

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Chrisq6
Joining in
Message 29 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Yes Tim, sadly no improvements whatsoever

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 30 of 34
Flag for a moderator

How many Virgin Media email addresses do you currently have on the Android device?

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos