cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld email can't send

mshillam
Tuning in

My wife - whose ntlworld email account I set up 15-20 years ago - suddenly cannot send emails from her account on our PC or on her iPad. She can receive them fine. Error message requires me as administrator to fix. But  re-entering her password in the outgoing mail section makes no difference. I also had a similar problem over the last two weeks when we were away from home. But ok for me now back home. Have recently upgraded home PC from Windows 7 to 10 (don't know if this affects things). Help please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is your email client configured to use the following recommended settings:

Incoming  

Account typeIMAP
Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com
Server port993
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostimap.virginmedia.com

or:

Account typePOP3
Server port995
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostpop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing  

Account typeSMTP
Server port465
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostsmtp.virginmedia.com

[Source; Email settings change]

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is your email client configured to use the following recommended settings:

Incoming  

Account typeIMAP
Server port993
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostimap.virginmedia.com

or:

Account typePOP3
Server port995
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostpop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing  

Account typeSMTP
Server port465
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostsmtp.virginmedia.com

[Source; Email settings change]

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply. The settings are all as suggested apart from being ntlworld not virgin media. Problem persists I’m afraid

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mshillam wrote:

The settings are all as suggested apart from being ntlworld not virgin media.

Well although the old ntlworld.com servers do still work, before trouble shooting any further I would suggest updating your settings to the recommended virginmedia.com.

It is more than 4 years ago now that VM recommended that everyone with ntlworld.com, blueyonder.co.uk  and virgin.net email accounts should update their email settings to use the virginmedia.com servers. See here for clarification on that https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438 

At the very least you are future proofing yourself because no doubt at some point VM will discontinue using those old legacy servers.

To trouble shoot further it would be useful if you can find the VMnnn error code that is being returned when you try to send emails. If that is in the error message you are getting then just post back here with it.

However, the chances are you are not seeing that code but assuming you have a Windows 10 device the easiest way to get it is to use the curl command. Here is a step by step guide showing how to do it:

1) Copy the following line of command text and then paste it into a MS Word document (or which ever text editor you prefer) so that you can edit it.

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/ -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr "235 VM") || (grep "235\|VM"))

2) Once you have pasted it into Word, replace the text  username  with your full Virgin Media email address,  and   password  with the password for that email account. So that part of the command should now say something like    " richardbranson@ntlworld.com:sdfxyz1234  "     It is important to keep the colon  and the space before and after that piece of text exactly as per the original line of text in step 1.

3) Then type cmd into the Windows 10 search bar, press Enter and then open the Command Prompt app.

4) Copy the full line of text that you have just amended in step 2 from the Word document and paste it where the cursor is blinking in the Command Prompt. Then press Enter.

After a second or two you should then see a line which says something like < 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

It is that line, particularly the VMnnn code that we need you to give us please.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your detailed reply. The problem may be much simpler. The error message generated is “the username or password is incorrect”. However neither of these has changed. Reentering the password makes no difference.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mshillam The error message that email clients give are often generic and don't report the actual VM error code which @coenoby is looking for.

It may be that you can solve the issue by changing the password for the email account concerned.

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks! Have found it, changed the password, and it all appears to be working fine.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mshillam wrote:
Thanks! Have found it, changed the password, and it all appears to be working fine.

That's great, thanks for reporting back.

Just to clarify why I was looking for the VM error code:

Think of it like this. Email apps and clients tend to report their interpretation of why the message is failing.

The VMnnn code I referred to is VM's reason for not accepting the message.

As @Graham_A suggests, email apps and clients tend to report generic errors such "username or password incorrect" in a whole range of circumstances whereas the VM error code is quite specific and more useful for trouble shooting purposes

Anyway, I'm glad you got to the bottom of it.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mshillam, good to read that the issue is resolved. Please consider unmarking my post as helpful and instead marking Graham_A's post as helpful; this will help future community users locate the solution without having to review other posts.

Thedukewood
Joining in
I have the same issue but am not longer a virgin customer. If I try and log in to change the PW it says it doesn't recognise the email name etc. Does anyone know how to access legacy account if not a customer please? Emails are being picked up in gmail but it won't send out response. Thank you